Notices

PLEASE HELP

Old 07-22-2003, 09:01 AM
typer483

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was racing around last week and now my car is running like shit. I've never had problems until now. The car idles bad and sounds tickety like a truck. I changed the air filter,plugs,wires, cap and rotor. It runs a little smoother but still really bad. It stalls out sometime sitting at idle. Do you think I have a bent valve or something worse? Also, When I do a compression test what #s should I expect to see?
Thanks Agent Smith :twisted:
Old 07-22-2003, 10:00 AM
Dave-ROR

Originally Posted by typer483
I was racing around last week and now my car is running like shit. I've never had problems until now. The car idles bad and sounds tickety like a truck. I changed the air filter,plugs,wires, cap and rotor. It runs a little smoother but still really bad. It stalls out sometime sitting at idle. Do you think I have a bent valve or something worse? Also, When I do a compression test what #s should I expect to see?
Thanks Agent Smith :twisted:
Sounds like you bent a valve. Did you misshift into a lower gear by accident?

you can do a compresson test but lower numbers in one cylinder could mean a number of different problems. As for what numbers to expect, one can not say. Test it.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:40 AM
typer483

My friend said he got 190psi out of each cylinder
Another mechanic said
Cylinder 1 125
Cylinder 2 105
Cylinder 3 125
Cylinder 4 65
When I'm cruising it still rips in Vtec but it's starting to smoke a little.
I'm gonna go over it again because 190 seems high and the other guy is scam artist and I think he's trying to rip me off saying "He needs to pull the head and put new valves in" ..... If so should I replace with the factory valves or spend the 2000 on parts for all of the vlalvetrain? I only have 34,000 miles and I'm not really trying to spend money right now unless I really have to. :cry:
Old 07-22-2003, 11:44 AM
Dave-ROR

Stock valves are fine in most any application imo.

stock ITRs will range from 215-250psi depending on the motor and the tester used.

retest it yourself (compression tester is cheap, like 20-25 bucks) and make sure that the engine is up to operating temp and hold the throttle down when cranking it over. disconnect the FI fuse so the injectors don't spray fuel into the cylinders.

if you need detailed instructions let me know and I'll type em up.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:12 PM
typer483

We did a compression test on my car today and it ran
cylinder 1 185
cylinder 2 185
cylinder 3 185
cylinder 4 165
and the last cylinder had black all over the spark plug. All four are two days old. Do you think it could still be a bent valve. Should I check my injectors too? I'm still learning the basic so if anyone has advice
lay it on!
agent smith :twisted: