Notices

brake upgrades

Old 07-21-2003, 10:23 AM
itrhonda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 97 gsr and am wanting to upgrade the brakes. I am looking for suggestions. I have been looking at Willwood, and Spoon.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2003, 11:00 AM
TypeR 801

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on what your ultimate purpose is. For street or autocrossing, stock calipers and rotors are fine, just upgrade to aggressive street pads, better fluid, and possibly stainless brake lines.

Stock ITR calipers and rotors might be a good upgrade for a next step up. With aggressive pads and brake cooling, these brakes are more than adequate for tracking, autocrossing, daily driving, etc. while still be affordable to purchase and pads, rotors are easy to find and very reliable.

For a more dedicated track setup you can go with the Wilwoods, but if you're still going to drive it on the street I believe they'll require frequent rebuilds. Spoons are great offer big weigh savings, but are expensive. A plus for them is they retain OEM sized pads which gives you lots of pad options since the NSX, ITR, Prelude, etc all use the same sized pad (because they have the same sized caliper).

Originally Posted by itrhonda
I have a 97 gsr and am wanting to upgrade the brakes. I am looking for suggestions. I have been looking at Willwood, and Spoon.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2003, 05:17 AM
Trey

i'd have to agree that a stock type setup would do. I woudl get a set of Legend Calipers and a fastbrakes kit to adapt mounting them.

Then get some good pads like a Cobalt GT Sport.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:54 AM
Dave-ROR

better pads and better fluid (if you track it). bigger brakes wont make you stop in a shorter distance.

I've never had a problem with stock GS-R brakes on road courses and certainly not the street.

The feel of ITR brakes is far superior though.