Notices

first car?

Old 07-20-2003, 05:15 AM
Dc2typeR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well as to all of the people gave me some comments and opionions in my first post ever in this forum..topic title is "price of itr"..
what is a good first beater car then?
like a cheap and drivable car..something like an 86?
btw, thanks to all who helped me sort my way out from..first wanting to drive a type r when im 17..and now wanting to drive a cheap car when im 17..haha..i think its a good idea to learn how to drive and know the car parts well..cuz i get SOOO confused reading stuff off this forum..lsd? what? intercooler? what? haha...
thanks
Old 07-20-2003, 05:17 AM
Dc2typeR

also..would any other kinds of integras be better than an itr?
because i heard, in toronto (where i live), a GSR i believe, smoked a type r badly, like BADLY..or may b not that bad..but definitely smoked a type r..
Old 07-20-2003, 05:52 AM
98 CW ITR 322

I had a '97 GSR before trading up to an ITR. The GSR has a lot more bottom end because of the dual-runner intake and can be more fun for street driving. The type R is a car for a more experianced driver as it takes a lot more driver input to make it howl.
A late model low mileage GSR can be had for a reasonable amount of bucks. That will give some spare $'s to add the R's ground effects,aftermarket shocks,springs,strut braces,good tires,brake pads and cold air intake and a new catback exhaust with header. I did all this to an '88 integra (less headers+sway bars&ground effects) and it handled nearly as well as my R. The only difference was in a hard corner,the body would flex slightly,and this would change the alignment a bit so a small amount of steering correction had to be applied in the corner. Also without the dam and wing the rear gets a little light at speed.This was not a big issue and only happened when pushing HARD into a corner. I did all the work in my driveway...one tip,the bolts on the exhaust will be too tite 2 loosen unless you have an impact wrench,so take it to a muffler shop.They won't remove the old exhaust system and let you drive it off, but tell them to loosen and tighten all the flange bolts and when you get home you can remove everything with a socket wrench. They charged me $7 to do this and it saved a lot of hassle. Do this to a GSR and you will have a fun car that will be quiet enuf to enjoy music in.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:45 AM
Dave-ROR

A GS-R isn't a bad choice.. neither is a Civic with a GS-R motor.. or just a 99-00 Civic Si. There are choices outside of honda as well..

You are probably talking aout Tony the Tiger's GS-R. It's *far* from stock and not far to compare it to an ITR unless the ITR has the same power/tq curves, same weight, some gearing (he is using an ITR tranny IIRC), etc. Hard to compare modified cars against each other without taking them to the drag strip, road course, autox, etc.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:10 AM
Dc2typeR

ive just talked bout this with my friend on the phone, he said that, his bro's friend is selling a hatchback civic, year 93 or something? just a guess, anyway, everything is type r-ed, imported from japan..engine..strutbar,axel..seats..oxygen..water ..a piece of the hair left from the japanese person before importing it to toronto..etc. and its for 15,000dollars canadian..so im assuming that i'll get that as my first car? but then i thot bout it for awhile..then thats like a type r! its even faster than a type r *stock* cuz its lighter..but then before i thot of hatchback civic, i thot of getting a really really old honda..i think its a prelude..now its been used as a pizza car..i thot of gettin that car =P..hahaha but anyway i'll never know wut i'll do in the future =D
Old 07-20-2003, 01:17 PM
Jinx

a type R isn't a god-like fast car, and as sum1 already said, 2 yrs later, the newest R u can get would b a 4 yr old car. if u do like the R, then u should get it, n if ur really rich then get another car to drive, learn more bout cars, n put da R in ur garage
Old 07-20-2003, 01:39 PM
kabob

wtf? Jinx, calm down man, your short-term memory's going AWOL :lol:
Old 07-20-2003, 08:57 PM
Jinx

what?