Notices

Detailing Type R's rotors, calipers and wheelwell

Old 03-23-2003, 03:48 PM
DeanO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Due to weather and a busy family/work schedule, my 2001 Canadian-spec Type R hasn't been on the road too often over the past few months. Although I never intended to make my Type R a garage queen, it's hard to avoid pampering the car when it only has 7k miles.

The car was originally imported into Washington state, so the corrosion potential was much higher than North Carolina. Even so, the undercarriage looked fairly clean.

Surprisingly, the brake calipers and rotor hats looked terrible:

I spent the afternoon cleaning the underbody with P21S Total Body Wash and protecting the wheel wells with a light coat of Wurth Stone Guard Black. Acura was understandably casual about sound deadening and corrosion protection in the Type R.

I also painted the rotor "hats" with Eastwood 1200 degree high temp paint (silver). The brake calipers were painted with Folia Tec silver. I hope it lasts.

Overall a satisfying day (but not as satisfying as DRIVING the Type R!).

Dean
Old 03-23-2003, 03:53 PM
Erik B

wanna do mine? :lol: JFWY...it does look freaking new...I remember when my car looked like that about 3 years ago....dam time goes by quick..... :cry:
Old 03-23-2003, 07:18 PM
Aj

yeah, looks real good. I usually just replace the rotors every so often, and pressure wash the calipers. Though I think I may get them either powder coated, as I have a friend in the business, or, just get the willwood caliper kit. Not sure yet...

Any way, good luck, hope it lasts.

Later,
Aj