Notices
Drag Strip From the staging lanes to the finish line, this is the spot for on-track drag racing discussion.

s2000 vs. ex

Old 02-15-2004, 08:51 AM
yellow civic ex
ghey slow d16 modder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2000 vs. ex

went to the strip friday night with a large group of friends to run some people. on the way down i ran a stock rsx-s on the highway and beat him by 4+cars to 100mph.
when we got to the strip the first guy i ran was a 2000si with a greddy kit and some exaust. he had stock si wheels and some wierd headlights. we went from a dead stop and i pulled on him through third gear and had about 2 cars on him by about 95mph. something was either very wrong with his car, he was a bad driver, or he was using the stock boost with few other upgrades.

the second run was an s2000 with a header, exaust, cai, pulleys, v-afc, short shifter, and probably some other stuff i don't know about. we were flagged off and i struggled for traction through first, so he gained a car. through the next two gears we pulled even and when he shift to fourth i pulled up to his fender and we let off (it was 100+mph, so more than a 1/4 mile). DAMN RWD!!!

that's my story. :cheers:
Old 02-15-2004, 02:39 PM
Fast-Ford
Loves Nascar, NHRA & SCCA

Originally Posted by yellow civic ex
went to the strip friday night with a large group of friends to run some people. on the way down i ran a stock rsx-s on the highway and beat him by 4+cars to 100mph.
when we got to the strip the first guy i ran was a 2000si with a greddy kit and some exaust. he had stock si wheels and some wierd headlights. we went from a dead stop and i pulled on him through third gear and had about 2 cars on him by about 95mph. something was either very wrong with his car, he was a bad driver, or he was using the stock boost with few other upgrades.

the second run was an s2000 with a header, exaust, cai, pulleys, v-afc, short shifter, and probably some other stuff i don't know about. we were flagged off and i struggled for traction through first, so he gained a car. through the next two gears we pulled even and when he shift to fourth i pulled up to his fender and we let off (it was 100+mph, so more than a 1/4 mile). DAMN RWD!!!

that's my story. :cheers:
Nice job with the RSX.....they don't have much toqrue anyway but they are a good base to build something faster.

RWD is a car's best friend.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:26 AM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

correction AWD is a car's best friend
if the car has traction and shoots off the line with enough Hp to keep accelerating at a decent pace then it's got the advantage
enough i mean like STi 300hp enough
Old 02-16-2004, 01:30 AM
Nathan1234
Domestic Driving Asshole

Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
correction AWD is a car's best friend
if the car has traction and shoots off the line with enough Hp to keep accelerating at a decent pace then it's got the advantage
enough i mean like STi 300hp enough
Nope. RWD is better for racing. AWD is only your best friend in the mud & snow. If you think not, prove it.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:59 AM
TeHJuSTiN
NAM #0001

AWD usually is better for street tires, compared to most RWDs. I've seen f-bodies pull 1.5 60s on street tires too though that is on a really sticky drag strip and not the street.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:34 AM
Tobra

Originally Posted by Nathan1234
Nope. RWD is better for racing. AWD is only your best friend in the mud & snow. If you think not, prove it.
AWD is better for everything, except being light.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:35 AM
Minami Kotaro

AWD is certainly not best for top speed, too much power lost in the drivetrain.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:43 AM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Originally Posted by Nathan1234
If the center diff is driver adjustable (like it is on the STi) then AWD can be your best friend because you can make 10/90 power split between the F/R wheels. If the AWD is not adjustable, it depends a lot on the car. Some of the older Subaru Imprezas have a 90/10 F/R power split, so it's essentially FWD.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:51 AM
senseiturtle
euro trash

The only AWD system I'd even consider for racing is that of a Skyline's, which I believe has a continuously-variable power transfer rate, based on rate of accleration and other various conditions.

I remember it being described as this, by some magazine.. of course, I'm likely wrong, so if a skyline-guru could clarify, that'd be great,

Full throttle-
Back tires light up instantly. Computer (?) realizes that there is zero grip, and transfers just enough (up to 40%) to the front wheels to get it moving. This starts the car moving, and at the same time, allows the back tires to grip. Power is then re-routed almost fully to the back tires, but just enough remain with the front to keep from spinning the back.
---------------------------

Other than that, I'd consider AWD for autoX, but for dragging... RWD all the way.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:54 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Originally Posted by senseiturtle
The only AWD system I'd even consider for racing is that of a Skyline's, which I believe has a continuously-variable power transfer rate, based on rate of accleration and other various conditions.

I remember it being described as this, by some magazine.. of course, I'm likely wrong, so if a skyline-guru could clarify, that'd be great,

Full throttle-
Back tires light up instantly. Computer (?) realizes that there is zero grip, and transfers just enough (up to 40%) to the front wheels to get it moving. This starts the car moving, and at the same time, allows the back tires to grip. Power is then re-routed almost fully to the back tires, but just enough remain with the front to keep from spinning the back.
---------------------------

Other than that, I'd consider AWD for autoX, but for dragging... RWD all the way.
There are several AWD systems have this variable center diff. The STi also has this computer controlled mode where power is transferred to and from wheels as wheel slip is detected. Also, the center diff can be adjusted manually in the cabin, anywhere from fully locked to 90% slip. I've heard that a lot of STi driver's lock the center diff to get the car going and switch it to automatic mode once the hit the end of first gear.

Quick Reply: s2000 vs. ex