Notices
Drag Strip From the staging lanes to the finish line, this is the spot for on-track drag racing discussion.

Another Neon (I think) killed

Old 02-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Minami Kotaro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Neon (I think) killed

I came up to a four way stop and noticed a car at the stop to my right. I think it was a Neon but I couldn't really tell as the body was in the process of being completely customized. The front end, front fenders, front hood, and underskirting had all been replaced with raw fiberglass components that might actually look good once finished and painted.

He spun his tires furiously upon takeoff. As he went by, I saw that the rear was heavily redone in 'glass as well. Also, and this is what made me want to race him, he had dual exhaust with two --two-- of the biggest chrome tips I've ever seen. Much needed to flow the massive amounts of exhaust produced by that 2.0 liter four, I'm sure.

I went next but didn't manage to get beside him at the next light. I was in front in the right lane, he was behind a minivan in the left. Too bad, there was nothing but open road in front of us. Oh, well, no big deal, right?

At green, I took off nice and normal. The minivan was a clunker and barely got moving, so the Neon swerved around him and drew up even with me. I was in third at 35, a bit too slow, and matted the gas to pull on him for a second as soon as he drew alongside me. He saw me do it and gunned it. Those mufflers made a hell of a lot of noise. I floored my Ion and just utterly walked the dog on him. I figured I'd beat him but, geez. It was a total massacre. It was like he was standing still. I'm pretty sure he was trying, since I could hear his engine screaming through those dual pipes the whole time.

I let off at 90 and, sure enough, he eventually flew by me as I was slowing down. I think he gave me the finger.

Another angry bee muffler'd car bites the dust.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:49 AM
Tobra

I always laugh when I see that heavy fiberglass crap on a car, there was a prelude down in Texas that had a dog ugly body kit and gold metal flake paint that I used to feel sorry for. Those new turbo neons are fast, but that is about it
Old 02-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Minami Kotaro

Originally Posted by Tobra
I always laugh when I see that heavy fiberglass crap on a car, there was a prelude down in Texas that had a dog ugly body kit and gold metal flake paint that I used to feel sorry for. Those new turbo neons are fast, but that is about it
I don't really look down bodywork. If somebody wants to put 500+ lbs of extra cladding on their car, more power to 'em.

It's the rice mufflers I can't stand. They don't offer any performance benefit, they don't sound good, they don't look good. They're just LOUD, for the sake of being loud.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Dave-ROR
RAD owns.

"Unlawful activities will not be discussed in the forums." - TOS.