Notices

Supercharging a 4th gen prelude???

Old 02-08-2004, 10:49 AM
EliteBob13
I nearly wet myself!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharging a 4th gen prelude???

Is it possible to do an engine swap and fit a jackson racing supercharger under the hood of my 4th gen? Right now I have an H23 and the whole car is stock. I just paid it off and is changing roles from daily driver to project car. The car is in great shape (except the front bumper, where some SOB backed into it) and just broke the 100K mark 2 days ago. I don't want to dink around with the current engine so the first thing I want to do is a swap but I don't know exactly where to start, i.e. what kind of work I should do on the new engine before I put it in. Or where to buy a low milage H22(anything, I don't really care if it is JDM or USDM) Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:54 PM
ludeboom

Originally Posted by EliteBob13
Is it possible to do an engine swap and fit a jackson racing supercharger under the hood of my 4th gen? Right now I have an H23 and the whole car is stock. I just paid it off and is changing roles from daily driver to project car. The car is in great shape (except the front bumper, where some SOB backed into it) and just broke the 100K mark 2 days ago. I don't want to dink around with the current engine so the first thing I want to do is a swap but I don't know exactly where to start, i.e. what kind of work I should do on the new engine before I put it in. Or where to buy a low milage H22(anything, I don't really care if it is JDM or USDM) Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance.
well if your planning for forced induction, many people use the h23a1 because it has no VTEC, which takes some of the tuning problems away. there really arent problems with boosting an h22, lb for lb, the h22 if properly tuned and built up, and the h23a1 if properly built up...the h22 will make far more power than a h23a1 boosted.

you will want to sleeve the h22 block (darton is a good choice), add forged rods, forged pistons, and you are done with the block. the h22 crank is balanced to over 8500 from the factory, and some say its good to 1000 ponies so its fine. on the head side, you will need cam gears to dial out all the duration overlap on the VTEC head. other than that the head is safe to 8000, and alot of boost, head gasket wise you have a few choices.

i dont think you should lower compression, keep it at 10 (USDM). build a motor that is designed to prevent detonation rather than withstand it.
all that means to you is bigger injectors, an intercooler, and some electronics (which you will need anyway).

all this is true between SC or turbo, although i would recommend turbo if you are going to build a motor anyway, SC is more of a cheaper and safer alternative.

either way...
i say:
sleeve's
rod's
piston's
cam gear's

for a bulletproof h22

~boom
Old 02-08-2004, 02:32 PM
EliteBob13
I nearly wet myself!

Originally Posted by ludeboom
well if your planning for forced induction, many people use the h23a1 because it has no VTEC, which takes some of the tuning problems away. there really arent problems with boosting an h22, lb for lb, the h22 if properly tuned and built up, and the h23a1 if properly built up...the h22 will make far more power than a h23a1 boosted.

you will want to sleeve the h22 block (darton is a good choice), add forged rods, forged pistons, and you are done with the block. the h22 crank is balanced to over 8500 from the factory, and some say its good to 1000 ponies so its fine. on the head side, you will need cam gears to dial out all the duration overlap on the VTEC head. other than that the head is safe to 8000, and alot of boost, head gasket wise you have a few choices.

i dont think you should lower compression, keep it at 10 (USDM). build a motor that is designed to prevent detonation rather than withstand it.
all that means to you is bigger injectors, an intercooler, and some electronics (which you will need anyway).

all this is true between SC or turbo, although i would recommend turbo if you are going to build a motor anyway, SC is more of a cheaper and safer alternative.

either way...
i say:
sleeve's
rod's
piston's
cam gear's

for a bulletproof h22

~boom
So with the sleeves, rods, piston, and cam gears what kind of horse do you think I am looking at for the SC as opposed to the turbo? Which of the two choices is going to be the hardest on the engine? (I think turbo is the answer but I am not sure.) The key in making my decision is simply which of the setups will I have to spend the least amount of time for upkeep on, but the big question I still have is even with an appropriate swap to an enging that does have the SC built for it; will it fit in my 4th gen?

I did know that the SC is a cheaper route but why do you say safer? Also I am not sure what you mean by building a engine to prevent detonation rather than withstand it. Would the intercooler still be necessary for the SC?

Thanks again for the help.
Bob
Old 02-09-2004, 02:50 PM
BigLew

The JRSC for the 5th gen will fit in the 4th gen engine bay. Here are a couple of things to consider. You'll have more power potential with turbo. At the same amount of boost a turbo will be more powerfull with an intercooler. Intercooler options with the JRSC are far more limited than a turbo. Getting sleeves, forged pistons and rods will not net you any more power at the same or lowered compression, the point of these items is to make your engine stronger as ludeboom was basically saying. The advanage of a supercharger over a turbo is that the power is always there where as a turbo you have to wait for spool time, but again the most power gains can be realized by a turbo setup. The JRSC is made for the H22A4 so it will fit on any H22 engine. There is some modification you have to do to the drivers side shock tower for fittment but it is minor.