Notices

more clutch/tranny problems

Old 07-29-2002, 12:35 PM
JackoliciousLeg
root

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more clutch/tranny problems

Thanks to everyone that tried to help with my clutch problems earlier. But it's getting worse, and I'm on a limited budget so i need to make a decision fast. Here's the scoop:

My clutch started feeling weird, as in it engages lower to the floor now. I have to pull VERY hard to get the car in and out of gear. I changed the clutch and tranny fluid. It's not the synchros cuz it happens in all gears. When the car's off, it flies through gears. I don't think the clutch is enaging/disengaging all the way. I haven't seen any leakage into the cabin (which is where i understand the master cylinder leaks). The clutch pulls nice and hard. No slippage.

I already ordered the master and slave cylinders but i don't have to pay for them yet, so what should I do??

JackO
Old 07-29-2002, 12:36 PM
reno96teg

hmm... sounds like a popped spring.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:51 PM
JackoliciousLeg
root

What do you mean? What spring and where?
Old 07-29-2002, 12:57 PM
Daniel

It also sounds like a slow leak in either the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder. If your engagement point has gotten lower and lower it does sound like it's taking more effort to engage the clutch, meaning possibly you have less and less brake fluid in the master cylinder's. Where is the fluid level at? If it's maintained the same level for a week...even a day, I'd say start focusing on your clutch. If your fluid level is dropping though, you definitely have a leak, and replacing those two items should take care of it.
Old 07-29-2002, 03:27 PM
JackoliciousLeg
root

The fluid level is fine, but the clutch pulls REALLY REALLY strong... hmmm...
Old 07-29-2002, 07:21 PM
thx247

Jack it sounds like a problem I once had. There are like 4 or 5 springs on the clutch plate which are designed to soften the engament of the clutch. Anway, sometimes these springs or in my case part of the spring retainers come loose. When this happens they get stuck inbetween the pressure plate and the clutch surface. The harder you push on the clutch the harder it pushes back at you. Its hell on your clutch and its a BICH to drive like that. I just started rev matching every upshift and downshift until I had it fixed. It really sounds like you need to have the tranny dropped and the clutch looked at. Keep looking around or posting here cause thats a ****load of work to do on a whim =)

the clutch master cylinder can also leak in the engine bay just fyi
Old 07-29-2002, 08:33 PM
JackoliciousLeg
root

Thanks a lot for your informative post, that's EXACTLY what's going on with my car. How much does it cost and what needs to be replaced/done? New clutch? Cylinders? Springs???

Oh, and now it's locked out of gear and won't go in... what do I do?
Old 07-29-2002, 08:36 PM
thx247

woah its locked out of gear? what about when you turn the car off? Can you shift it then when its off still? If you can you might be able to drive it to the shop (rev matching every shift) to get the tranny dropped and the clutch replaced. I think you'd be looking at around 800 bucks for a good shop the put in a reputable OEM clutch or an after market clutch you provide them with.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:40 PM
JackoliciousLeg
root

Yes, it's locked out of gear now, but it can shift while it's off. Does that mean the clutch is bad? I thought when that went bad, it starts slipping. I have a new clutch that I bought for it, but that's clutch plate, pressure plate, and release bearing, no springs... might I need new ones...? I'm very confused. Should I put the slave and master cylinders in because they're getting here soon? Or should I just go replace the clutch first?
Old 07-30-2002, 01:32 AM
gsrvtec95

Them new springs there talking about come with the new clutch disc. definately have the lcutch put in I just ahd the same exact problem your having wouldnt hsift at all unless at the right RPM and definately not into first gear. My clutch was toast but never once slipped so I would change that see what happens

Quick Reply: more clutch/tranny problems