Notices

ABS Problem????

Old 07-29-2002, 10:25 AM
frankenstienvt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Problem????

This is a old topic . But new circumstances arose . ABS light comes on and stays on... The noise you hear when the system pressurizes the noise stays on for about 1 min.. Then the light comes on and no abs. I have a chilton manual that is a joke. Someone left me a post one time and they had a helms manual. where do you get them... The person that left me a post said that it could be a rubber ring that is spent so the system wont pressurize. Can I do something to the abs system until it fixed so I wont hear the noise of the pump trying to pressurize the system. Maybe a fuse or relay? So if anyone can give me info on how to fix this drop me a post thanks..
Old 07-30-2002, 08:16 AM
BSQ

The "buzzing" sound you hear when you first start your car is the ABS system pressurizing. This only pertains to '94-'97 Integras, because they have a different ABS system from the '98-'01 Integras and '97 Type-Rs. The '94-'97 Integra's ABS system has a seperate brake fluid reservior (#3 in diagram). The ABS brake fluid should be bleed and flushed periodically to remove air from the system. If you hear the buzzing for more than a couple of seconds (~2-5 sec.), this is a good indication that the ABS system needs to be bleed. Now if you hear the buzzing for ~60 seconds and then it shuts off and the ABS light comes on, it means that the ABS system could not be pressurized and the ABS has been disabled. The main cause is a small rubber O-ring (#23) which seals the brake fluid ACCUMULATOR (#2) which is under extremely high pressure. If this O-ring fails brake fluid will leak out and you will see it under the ABS module.

Here is a diagram of the '94-'97 Integra ABS module:

==============================================

Here is the procedure for ABS brake fluid replacement (from the Helms manual):
1.) Remove the bleeder cap from the maintenance bleeder on the modulator unit.

2.) Attach the wrench to the maintenance bleeder.

3.) Connect a rubber tube of the appropriate diameter to the maintenance bleeder, and set the other end of the rubber tube in a suitable container.

4.) While holding the rubber tube with your hand, slowly loosen the maintenance bleeder 1/8 to 1/4 to collect the brake fluid in the container.

CAUTION: Do not loosen the maintenance bleeder too much. The high-pressure brake fluid can burst out.

5.) Tighten the maintenance bleeder.

6.) Start the engine and let it idle for a minute. Stop the engine.

7.) Check the brake fluid level in the reservoir. It should be below the MAX (upper) level line.

8.) Repeat the steps 4 through 7 to drain the rest of the brake fluid from the modulator unit.

9.) Remove the cap, and refill the reservoir to the MAX (upper) level with fresh brake fluid.

10.) Repeat steps 4 through 8 twice, and refill the reservoir to the MAX (upper) level with fresh brake fluid.

11.) Tighten the maintenance bleeder to the specified torque (8 lbf-ft).

12.) After replacement, start the engine and make sure that the ABS indicator light goes off.
_______

To temporarily disable the ABS you can pull the ABS fuses in the engine bay. By doing so the ABS system will not try to pressurize.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:09 AM
Daniel

Good write up Bret, I'm going to Archive it when the thread is finished.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:14 AM
progue

Default ABS Light is on

I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT THIS POST. I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. IS IT EASY TO REPLACE THE O-RING. OR DO I HAVE TO TAKE TO A MECHANIC TO DO IT. YOUR HELP IS APPRECIATED.

Originally Posted by BSQ
The "buzzing" sound you hear when you first start your car is the ABS system pressurizing. This only pertains to '94-'97 Integras, because they have a different ABS system from the '98-'01 Integras and '97 Type-Rs. The '94-'97 Integra's ABS system has a seperate brake fluid reservior (#3 in diagram). The ABS brake fluid should be bleed and flushed periodically to remove air from the system. If you hear the buzzing for more than a couple of seconds (~2-5 sec.), this is a good indication that the ABS system needs to be bleed. Now if you hear the buzzing for ~60 seconds and then it shuts off and the ABS light comes on, it means that the ABS system could not be pressurized and the ABS has been disabled. The main cause is a small rubber O-ring (#23) which seals the brake fluid ACCUMULATOR (#2) which is under extremely high pressure. If this O-ring fails brake fluid will leak out and you will see it under the ABS module.

Here is a diagram of the '94-'97 Integra ABS module:

==============================================

Here is the procedure for ABS brake fluid replacement (from the Helms manual):
1.) Remove the bleeder cap from the maintenance bleeder on the modulator unit.

2.) Attach the wrench to the maintenance bleeder.

3.) Connect a rubber tube of the appropriate diameter to the maintenance bleeder, and set the other end of the rubber tube in a suitable container.

4.) While holding the rubber tube with your hand, slowly loosen the maintenance bleeder 1/8 to 1/4 to collect the brake fluid in the container.

CAUTION: Do not loosen the maintenance bleeder too much. The high-pressure brake fluid can burst out.

5.) Tighten the maintenance bleeder.

6.) Start the engine and let it idle for a minute. Stop the engine.

7.) Check the brake fluid level in the reservoir. It should be below the MAX (upper) level line.

8.) Repeat the steps 4 through 7 to drain the rest of the brake fluid from the modulator unit.

9.) Remove the cap, and refill the reservoir to the MAX (upper) level with fresh brake fluid.

10.) Repeat steps 4 through 8 twice, and refill the reservoir to the MAX (upper) level with fresh brake fluid.

11.) Tighten the maintenance bleeder to the specified torque (8 lbf-ft).

12.) After replacement, start the engine and make sure that the ABS indicator light goes off.
_______

To temporarily disable the ABS you can pull the ABS fuses in the engine bay. By doing so the ABS system will not try to pressurize.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:42 PM
524gsr

Default Me too!

I have the same problem but my abs light comes on after I start driving. Can anyone help us please.