Notices

HELP! on rear brakes

Old 07-28-2002, 12:29 PM
DC2GSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! on rear brakes

I was wondering if someone here can help me out.

Anyways, I was trying to change the rear brakes (rotors and pads) on my 94 gsr, but I was having major problems trying to get the rotor assembly back on because the piston would not compress. So I tried using a C-clamp to compress it and it was like super hard - it barely even budged. The handbrakes were already released, so I can't figure what the heck is up with the piston. Friends tell me that the piston should just push in and out without a prob, mine obviously doesn't.

So my car is on jack stands as I speak. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-28-2002, 02:28 PM
fidracer

I did my front pads not too long ago and used channel-lock pliers to compress the piston. I just ratcheted them out to the widest setting, slipped them over the edge of the piston and the back of the caliper and squeezed like hell. It finally moved and slowly compressed back in.

You can't really break it so if it is moving with your c-clamp method (which is probably better than my method), just keep cranking. I hope you are using a bock of wood over the piston's edge rather than using the c-clamp on the inside backing of the piston as I don't know how strong that back face is. You might just be able to use the clamp on the edge of the piston (that's what I did with the channel-locks) because that should distribute the force better, even if it is off-center. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2002, 02:53 PM
dVs
Platinum Member

Default Re: HELP! on rear brakes

Originally posted by DC2GSR
I was wondering if someone here can help me out.

So I tried using a C-clamp to compress it and it was like super hard - it barely even budged.

The rear pistons need to be spun. I don't remember which way (counter/clock wise) but if u look at the face of the piston it has a + sign on it. Use a giant flat head screwdriver or anything that you can use to turn the piston back into the housing. You're only supposed to use c-clamps on the front pistons.
Old 07-28-2002, 03:13 PM
fidracer

Yep, that's right, sorry about my post. service manual says:

"Rotate the caliper piston clockwise into place in the cylinder, then align the cutout in the piston with the tab on the inner pad by turning the piston back."
Old 07-28-2002, 03:18 PM
DC2GSR

Thanks for the replies,

dVs.. Thanks a million!!! I will try that first thing tomorrow!!