Notices

exhausts and sway bar conflicts?

Old 12-24-2003, 09:01 PM
mickey
hi. my name is mickey.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhausts and sway bar conflicts?

i hear from a lot of people that a rear sway bar and an exhaust on an accord aren't really two things that can really co-exist, with the sway bar and exhaust combo i want, anyway... i wanted to have a greddy evo exhaust with an s/t rear sway bar... can anyone clear this up for me?
Old 12-25-2003, 03:32 PM
JonHsiung
u c l a

I have a Dual Greddy MX system and a Comptech swaybar, and no problems with them. It's really tight in there, but if everything is set up right, they don't make a sound, but they're still like hairs away from touching.
Old 12-25-2003, 06:51 PM
drmmrboy87

yes I have the evo, people have told me it interferes. see this post... sway bar over exhaust that pretty much sums it up, he has the SP, but the piping is the same as the evo. I'm just gonna take mine to a muffler shop and see if they can bend the piping some so it will fit.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:33 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

I don't have that exhaust system. I have HKS Dragger Muffler + 2.25" Custome piping and S/T sway bar. They work fine, no hitting or whatever :dunno: it's just rumors. The matter is how your exhaust system and sway line up. It works for some people and not for others.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:53 PM
polakatl

First I would like to suggest the TL-S sway bar from the Acura dealer ~$60. I just installed it and the car handles remarkably better. For the price of the S/T unit u can get a rear sway and front upper strut from Acura. When test driving my tl-s bar I kept taking corners faster and faster since it handled ALOT better until at one point the rear end came loose. Although gentle it was still a first for me in a honda . I can't imagine how the S/T sway would be safe or even fun to drive since its so much thicker than the 19mm acura. I would think ur back end would be sliding around all ur hard corners. Also the acura one is shaped like stock so u won't have a conflict.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:10 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

Originally posted by polakatl
First I would like to suggest the TL-S sway bar from the Acura dealer ~$60. I just installed it and the car handles remarkably better. For the price of the S/T unit u can get a rear sway and front upper strut from Acura. When test driving my tl-s bar I kept taking corners faster and faster since it handled ALOT better until at one point the rear end came loose. Although gentle it was still a first for me in a honda . I can't imagine how the S/T sway would be safe or even fun to drive since its so much thicker than the 19mm acura. I would think ur back end would be sliding around all ur hard corners. Also the acura one is shaped like stock so u won't have a conflict.
the purpose of getting a new sway bar is to get a heavier and a stronger one so it'll reduce understeer [the car keep going strainght when you turn int] and induce oversteer [make steering better]

I have never seen an acura sway bar but if you said it's EXACTLY the same as stock then why would you get it? Since accords are FF - FRont Engine, Front wheel drive, steering is very hard because it'll put a lot of stress on the heavy front. Yet by lowered the car, you indeed made the car steer a lil better.

By also adding the Suspension Technique [S/T] Rear sway bar, you also improve the steering. IT WILL NOT MAKE YOUR CAR SLIDING, or ASS DRAGGING ALL AROUND HARD CORNERS [except when you autoX and uses the E-brake - which is exactly what you aimed to do = SLIDE].

It improves your steering dramatically and help balancing out the car. I have it on for almost a year and it works wonderfully well.

The purpose of the rear sway bar is to make the rear wheels more intact, balance weigh transfer and also ADDING WEIGHT to the rear is exactly what you want. Ever notice how it's easier to turn when you carried people/heavy stuff in the back?

There you go. If you got the money, I suggest adding a S/T rear sway bar then the front upper strut.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:32 PM
polakatl

Ok I knew all that but it was a good explanation. When I said exactly like the stock i was thinking of the shape. Of course its thicker and solid instead of hollow. From my short experiance with the acura 19mm bar it seems like a beefier bar would augment the handling into an oversteering monster.

During my test drive on a curvy road I lost the rear end once without an intent to with brakes, etc.. I would imagine that if my bar was thicker than a:i would have been facing the other diraction in a ditch or b: I would have to take the turns slower.

Maybe I should mention that my shocks are set to 3/5 out of 5 so that contributes to oversteer as well but I never lost the rear with the stock sway bar in.

If u can elaborate on ur oversteer with the ST bar than please do. I'm sure u have lost the rear without forcing it on to the car.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:37 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

Originally posted by polakatl
Ok I knew all that but it was a good explanation. When I said exactly like the stock i was thinking of the shape. Of course its thicker and solid instead of hollow. From my short experiance with the acura 19mm bar it seems like a beefier bar would augment the handling into an oversteering monster.

During my test drive on a curvy road I lost the rear end once without an intent to with brakes, etc.. I would imagine that if my bar was thicker than a:i would have been facing the other diraction in a ditch or b: I would have to take the turns slower.

Maybe I should mention that my shocks are set to 3/5 out of 5 so that contributes to oversteer as well but I never lost the rear with the stock sway bar in.

If u can elaborate on ur oversteer with the ST bar than please do. I'm sure u have lost the rear without forcing it on to the car.
Sorry, I didn't see that you mean the shape. then the Acura's > stock then.

My shocks settings are at 4/5 front and 5/5 rear which supposed to induce more of oversteer but I haven't happened to lost the steering once. May be I've always use the E-brake to powerslide my car whenever I want to make a fast turn around corners, that's why I got used to it and didn't loose control over it. You should've seen my rear tires. They look like they got MAD POSITIVE CAMBER wear due to a lot of powerslide.

BTW, I just noticed that I have a 5th gen. May be my setup is better for 5th Gen since mine is lighter & better balance with the S/T while the 6th Gen is alright with the Acura's bar? :dunno:

Then again, here's my refined option:

Budget tight + fitment issue for 6th Gen, then polakatl's setup is right of the bat.

a little extra $$+ AutoX and related hobbies = my setup

btw, the Max speed of powerslide I've ever did on a 90 degree Red Light corner was 60-65 mph when i started to feel shaky on the control. That's why I've never attemped to go past that speed.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:33 AM
polakatl

Ahhh thats what I thought a 5th gen. I heard all the 5thgeners stand by those bars all the way!!!

About the strut settings u have: From my understandind the end that u tighten up more will loose traction first. Or should I say if u loosen the front and tighten the back u move ur car to the oversteer side and if u tighten the front and looses the back u have understter.

Maybe u meant to say over instead of under but what u did with ur seetings will lean ur car to the oversteer side

About powerslides and suspension settings, On one auto-x run I set the suspension (no sway and strut at the time) to F-1/5 R-5/5
and decided to just tap the e-brake on a 90deg turn to have the back slightly come out but not to pitch it completely sideways. Well the handling of the car changed so much that the e-brake tap turned the car all the way to where I was perpendicular to the road I was on and with my front wheels burning out I came to an almost stop right next to a cone before the car started to gactually move in the new direction. The slide cost me over a second
Old 12-26-2003, 10:26 AM
Accordz

I have a Greddy EVO exhaust on my car .. along with the S/T bar ... I am not having any problems