Notices

98-99 Accord/Which Tranny is better Man or Auto???

Old 12-20-2003, 09:04 PM
skids929

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98-99 Accord/Which Tranny is better Man or Auto???

Hello, just curious as to what transmission is the better choice for longevity in a 98 or 99 Accord 4cyl. Should I get a 5sp or an Auto transmission. I want the car for at leaast 150k. THX!
Old 12-20-2003, 09:50 PM
LX4CYL
Cone Basher

MANUAL! You'll enjoy it more and it will last longer. I guess changing the clutch would be a pain though...
Old 12-21-2003, 03:57 PM
2kAccord

5 spd, not only for lonegevity , but it will make the car run better. The auto tranny robs a lot of power
Old 12-21-2003, 04:55 PM
skids929

Thanks for the input guys....I actually have a 98 with a 5 sp now (73k) and I love the way it drives compared to an auto. But the problem is there is a slight clunk or slapping noise when the clutch activates. I have been told it is one of two things, the throwout bearing on the clutch assembly or the Input shaft or related bearings in the tranny itself (very bad). Any of you guys have any experience with this?
Old 12-21-2003, 05:03 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Originally posted by skids929
Thanks for the input guys....I actually have a 98 with a 5 sp now (73k) and I love the way it drives compared to an auto. But the problem is there is a slight clunk or slapping noise when the clutch activates. I have been told it is one of two things, the throwout bearing on the clutch assembly or the Input shaft or related bearings in the tranny itself (very bad). Any of you guys have any experience with this?
Well, I've managed to thrash my mani-tranny!!:thumbup:

20k it had a trashed throw-out (release) bearing.
This only made noise when it didn't have pressure on it. It sounded like a belt going. Else, it may make noise when the clutch is pushed in, but that should be more of a grinding if the bearing is going.

I currently have a pressure plate going bad at 50k. The pressure plate makes a rachet or squeeking noise when you release the clutch after getting the tranny warm.

Other then a worn (slipping) clutch disc it's hard to break much save for syncros in a manual.

Can you describe your noise better?
Old 12-21-2003, 05:26 PM
skids929

Sure thing, I can describe it better....Thanks for helping MrChad.

Basically, if you really want to hear it you have to wait till the tranny is warm and the oil is viscous. What it does is as follows: say your in first gear about to take off and the the clutch is pushed in, you give it little or no gas and when the clutch grips and reaches its activation point you hear a sort of clunk noise. Kinda of like there is play in the gears or something. I have had someone else describe the noise as a 'slap', but I would say it is more like a soft thud or clunk. Typically you hear it most in first gear when the most stress is on the tranny and clutch, but sometimes you can faintly hear it in second and third too.

I have been told this was one of two things, a throwout bearing or the input shaft in the tranny itself. I have also been told this is caused by beating the car but that the car will still go for a long time; but I don't think I can live with the noise since I am pretty meticulous about the condition of my hondas. What I was simply going to do is dump the car in trade if it is in fact the tranny. I have a deal all lined up at a local dealer to trade up to a 99 EX, but has an auto trans. Not wild about it but all I want is a car that will last and not have noises in such important parts of the car and the 99 is CLeeeeeeean.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:32 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Not wild about it but all I want is a car that will last and not have noises in such important parts of the car and the 99 is CLeeeeeeean. [/B]
hhhmmm....seams silly to dump your car over a tranny.
Why not order an OE clutch replacement kit?
-Pilot Bearing(throw-out/release)
-Clutch disc
-Pressure plate
-alingment tool.

www.clutchmasters.com
www.manchesterhonda.com
www.coximports.com
both places can provide you with an OE replacement clutch set-up
CM's is aftermarket but OE clone, MH will need to choose each part. Lots of shops sell the above though.

It seams unlikely that you could have trashed the output shaft.
99% of all clutch issues are in the wear items.

The above OE kits can be had for $130-200 tops.
Any qualified shop can install such goodies for a few hundred dollars. This should include new fluids and flywheel resurfacing if needed.

So instead of paying thousands for a new car $500 should get you a new tranny clutch assembly.

Even if the tranny is bad you can reuse this like new clutch kit and find a tranny on Ebay for few hundred if you search.

I'd fix the old car, better to pay a few months on the credit card then years on a new car. Not to mention an auto. I'd only get an auto if I was misisng a leg.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:56 PM
skids929

Good advice..Thanks alot. I will bringing it to Honda to have them officially diagnose it prior to dumping it. If it is the clutch most likely I will fix it, if it is the tranny then I will probably dump it. I can't help but feel that a tranny needing replacement at 73K in an Accord is a clear indication of how the car was treated prior to me owning it. I will always associate any repairs with this problem and never be completely happy with it. Lets keep out fingers crossed and hope it is simply a clutch and nothing more.

Your car looks sweet BTW.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:06 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

[QUOTE
Your car looks sweet BTW. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot, it wouldn't look this sweet had I not battled through my clutch issues.

When it first started having my pilot bearing issues, which was repaired under warranty at just 1 year old. It took 2-dealerships and 3-months to track down the issue. I kept destroying the bearings b/c of dealer error. Just think 1-$30 bearing cost Honda hundreds in cash to fix. I almost sold my Accord over this damn bearing. Had Honda done what I wanted all along it would have be a $30 fix, but the dealer butted heads with me because I had an AEM intake. My first bearing failed do to inproper amount of high temp grease. But no one would listen to me. After all I only work for North America's largest bearing mfg. so what would I know.

What's the point, just be patient, the tranny will get fixed for some cash, much less then a new car. All you need to do is have faith and pursist in the fact cars are just nuts and bolts, and any nut and bolt can be fixed---ANY.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:26 PM
skids929

I will keep you posted as to what I do. Anyway, what type of noise were you getting? Have you ever heard of a bad input shaft in an Accord?