Notices

Nextel phone in lighter makes radio buzz....

Old 12-17-2003, 06:10 PM
blankpro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nextel phone in lighter makes radio buzz....

when I use the lighter charger in my lighter, the radio simply goes into buzzing world. Is there a known problem or a known fix for this?

Also, a really basic question: I just bought this car (91 Accord EX) and it appears to have custom items (new front and rear lights, etc).

It says 16 valves" in the engine. is this special? Also, what gas should this use? My mechanic suggested 89 octane, since it is 16 valve.

Finally, how can I tell if it has been hotrodded? it certainly has a lot of pickup....

thanx all!! I'm a newb, but humble in the face of this forum....
Old 12-17-2003, 09:00 PM
IamNemo
You know me...

Default Re: Nextel phone in lighter makes radio buzz....

Originally posted by blankpro
when I use the lighter charger in my lighter, the radio simply goes into buzzing world. Is there a known problem or a known fix for this?

Also, a really basic question: I just bought this car (91 Accord EX) and it appears to have custom items (new front and rear lights, etc).

It says 16 valves" in the engine. is this special? Also, what gas should this use? My mechanic suggested 89 octane, since it is 16 valve.

Finally, how can I tell if it has been hotrodded? it certainly has a lot of pickup....

thanx all!! I'm a newb, but humble in the face of this forum....
Ok...here be some answers.

1) Cell phone bit. Sounds like there's a bad ground on the lighter maybe? I'm not completely sure, but that's my best guess there.

2) You've got the same engine I have...f22b. Nothing special about the 16 valves marking. It's just Honda's way of making it LOOK special. Use any octane you'd like. 87 will work just as well as 91.

3) This really depends on your definition of "hotrodding". Look under your hood. If there's an 'S' shaped pipe with a big filter on the end, congrats! You have a Short Ram Intake! Just look for anything that's a little bit flashy or seems bigger than normal.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:42 AM
accordhybrid

When you are tlaking about the radio buzzing are you referring to when the phone rings or just when you are using the charger?

Accordhybrid
Old 12-18-2003, 08:46 AM
blankpro

any time the charger is plugged into the lighter, even when the phone is powered off. Witht phone disconnected from the charger at the phone end, no noise.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:40 AM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try a diff cell phone see if u get noise with another phone too and if it does then for sure is something with the lighter and some wire.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:44 AM
blankpro

good idea - I'll try that 2 day...
Old 12-18-2003, 10:00 AM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

how about moving the cell phone as far away from the radio as possible? the signals that your cellphone transmitter sends and recieves can spoof up your headunit
Old 12-18-2003, 10:55 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

My work uses Nextel phones exclusively. I have noticed that when I get a 2-way message my computer speakers will get interference. Also the 2-way messaging is close in frequency to the one that our halon detectors use in the server room. We actually had the halon go off, shutting all the power to our server room, and setting off the fire alarm.

I guess what I am saying is that it is probably just your phone that is causing the interference.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:47 AM
93accordEX

nextels interfere with EVERYTHING. however I think its a different problem if its only when you plug it in. like suggested try a different phone (or anything like a radar detector or something) you have an f22a6, not f22b. It is the most powerful engine in the 4th gen accords, but I don't know if I would say it has lots of pickup. depends what you are used to driving I guess. just uses regular 87. as far as it being modded just look for like anything shiny
Old 12-18-2003, 01:49 PM
IamNemo
You know me...

Originally posted by 93accordEX
nextels interfere with EVERYTHING. however I think its a different problem if its only when you plug it in. like suggested try a different phone (or anything like a radar detector or something) you have an f22a6, not f22b. It is the most powerful engine in the 4th gen accords, but I don't know if I would say it has lots of pickup. depends what you are used to driving I guess. just uses regular 87. as far as it being modded just look for like anything shiny
I was off by a letter and a number....damn...I am ashamed...:sad: