Notices

Set this straight...Stock rods and Forged pistons, will it work?

Old 12-17-2003, 10:39 AM
ChillOutWayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Set this straight...Stock rods and Forged pistons, will it work?

like it says, damn ive had literally 50/50 answers on this subject. some people say run stock GSR rods with Forged pistons any day, others say it just cant happen. who do i believe? some moderators on HT say that the stock pins are press fit and the forged are floating or some crap and that it wont work with stock rods. I dont have the cash to go forged rods and pistons and found a good deal on CP pistons in my range, and i gotta get them early next week too. Any help would be great here guys, thanx
Old 12-18-2003, 07:21 AM
Tobra

I am a firm believer in doing things once. While you have it apart for the pistons, upgrade the rods too. If you have to buy the pistons now, get them and wait to do install untill you cna afford the rods too
Old 12-18-2003, 08:12 AM
93HybridCX
Beast from the East

You can run forged pistons on stock rods but I would at least have them shot-peened (sp?)
Old 12-19-2003, 01:07 PM
york2600

If you're gonna spend the cash to pull the engine apart and slap in some pistons you should slap in some rods.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:01 AM
Nathan1234
Domestic Driving Asshole

Don't bother. If you actually start to make any power you'll just end up with some broken metal chunks bouncing around under your perfectly fine forged pistons. Do it right.
Old 12-20-2003, 05:37 AM
Bumnah
So OG it hurts.

Originally posted by Nathan1234
Don't bother. If you actually start to make any power you'll just end up with some broken metal chunks bouncing around under your perfectly fine forged pistons. Do it right.
Inclined to agree with the domestic driver.
-----
Old 12-20-2003, 09:07 AM
newgsrdriver

Who is saying it cant be done?

Again, stock honda rods are not a weak link in the system. Its not like youre going to be running insane power on an otherwise stock block anyway. 10PSI, daily driven, 10:1 compression on forged pistons should be no problem for a typical turbo setup on an otherwise stock motor.

I agree as well, do it right the first time...but this isnt an option for him at this time. If you want to limp by the situation, at least get the pistons.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:29 PM
ChillOutWayne

well i got alot of replies and i appreciate it, but i have made up my mind and order a set of CP 9:1 81.5mm OS forged brand new...the motors getting stripped down tonight and its goin to the machine shop monday. I got ARP rod bolts and AEBS head studs goin in, along with the ACL bearing kit, (which i stil have to hunt down)...the rods are staying stock, because as NEWGSRDRIVER said, im not running insane boost by any means, and i acutally would not be even getting the forged pistons if it wasnt for the fact that the ITR pistons gotta come out and i dont have any other ones, and the stock honda ones with rings would run me over 300, discounted. So i figure for my 7-9psi range im gonna run, the forged pistons will help alot, along with the bore and hone and reassembly down below...thanx for the replies, and if anyone has any more, feel free
Old 12-20-2003, 03:18 PM
newgsrdriver

Dude...go 10:1.

Running 9:1 and 10PSI will do nothing for you but make more room for tuning error and lose power. Change that order :P
Old 12-21-2003, 12:18 PM
ChillOutWayne

well theyre already in the mail, i dont know who to take opinions from anymore...it seems some people think honda rods wont work, others say go 8.4:1 comp and some say 10.6:1...all i know is that the guy i ordered these off of off HT that has had his shop for years and done buildups and repairs on Honda motors for years says that the loss of power from goin from 10:1 to 9:1 will be so minimum that it isnt worht it, plus the 9:1 makes things alot safer under boost...im not going for a all out crazy fast car, im looking for a SAFE quick car in the 13s somewhere, if i can boost safely at 8psi and achieve that, im happy...but thanx for the ideas and advice anyway