Notices

Brake job for 6th gen...question

Old 12-17-2003, 08:33 AM
Accord1278

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake job for 6th gen...question

I'm going to be replacing the front brake pads and cutting the rotors on my 6th gen (LX I-4). Just need to know what you guys think about the different types of pads. Would you guys get the metallic/semi-metallic pads or spend a few extra bucks and get the ceramic pads?? And they offer lifetime warranty on the ceramic pads and 1 year warranty on the other ones. which would you get??
Old 12-17-2003, 08:35 AM
Intrepid241

I went with AEM pads on my 00 Lx I-4 coupe. They Stop really well, will even better with my new cross drilled rotors when I install them.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:43 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

i went with the oem pads. after checking the prices for auto zone pads and honda pads, i realized that there was only a $10 difference.

if you decided to get slotted or drilled rotors, make sure that they are legit. some shops buy brembo blanks, then do the drilling in house. that is extremely dangerous because they tend to crack under pressure.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:50 AM
guaynabo89

I went with aem. the pads put out very little dust and resist heat better than oem Honda pads. Know this from experience by the way.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:54 AM
skabone69

I've got the AEM pads and I'm pretty happy with them. they stopping power is real nice. I installed them with some help, and also put on some new brembo blanks. works real well for me.:thumbup:
Old 12-18-2003, 10:11 PM
showgunz

AEM=ceramic pads. 'Nuf said.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:32 AM
pirate252

EBC GreenStuff....Better than OEM stopping power when cold, and they get better as they get hotter

Dont get redstuff, thats AutoX, dont get fooled just cuz ther emore $$$ there better. they dont grip well till they heat up...

Quoted from www.tirerack.com:

"Road/Sport" Compound

Award-Winning, Kevlar Brake Pads
EBC Greenstuff Road/Sport disc brake pads are designed for sports cars, coupes and sedans used for high performance driving on the road. They are also suitable for sport driving in autocross, Solo II and many “track day” applications. The EBC Greenstuff pads feature a high Kevlar content formulation resulting in ultra high performance pads that are extremely kind to brake rotors.

EBC Greenstuff pads (friction level of 0.46µ) will be more responsive than most standard original brakes (typical friction level of 0.25µ to 0.35µ). Their high resistance to brake fade up to 1000° Fahrenheit make them a superb upgrade for luxury and high performance streetcars used for high speed driving or that encounter repetitive, heavy braking.

As standard brake pads wear, brake dust is released as the friction material carbonizes at temperatures found in everyday braking. EBC Greenstuff brake pads are formulated to run cleaner because they resist carbonizing until over 1000° Fahrenheit, so in normal street driving, dusting is reduced.

Features and Benefits of Greenstuff brake pads

Upgrade brake performance by up to 30% over OE pads, friction co-efficient of 0.46µ
Excellent initial bite resulting in instant response, no warm-up needed
Leading fade resistance on the street, heat stable to a blistering 1000°F
Extremely low rotor wear due to high Kevlar content
Low dust formula, great for alloys due to zero carbon content
Low vibration, smooth operation
The EBC Greenstuff pads have won many awards from United Kingdom magazines. In 1999 they won the UK Autotrade Magazine INNOVATION AWARD for their clean running, high performance features, and were also rated #1 fast road car brakes by UK's largest circulation motorsport magazine, Max Power.

Brake pads are wear items and as such, should be inspected regularly and replaced as necessary. Pads should be replaced when approximately 1/8” of friction material remains on the steel backing plate. Drivers who participate in track days should always take spare pads to the track and may find it desirable to also carry a full vehicle set of EBC Redstuff pads in case they need to upgrade their brakes to provide longer pad life to accommodate higher brake temperatures.

$110 w/out shipping from tirerack for all 4 pads