Notices

engine pressure/coolant

Old 12-17-2003, 06:39 AM
weight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine pressure/coolant

i (my mechanic and acura service) am thoroughly flummoxed about what is wrong with the engine in my '96 integra with 60k miles that i bought used with 44k miles. i'll summarize:

1 crack in radiator top. radiator replaced with aftermarket radiator.
2 two months later, radiator leaking around teeth securing down the plastic top. mechanic diagnoses head gasket problem.
3 head gasket done and replacement radiator installed.
4 three months later radiator, leaking again, radiator replaced.
5 month later, radiator blows out, this time from the bottom.
6 mechanic replaces radiator, head gasket comes back with "no problem, just some very, very minor warping." mechanic takes a week to put engine back together. upgrades radiator cap and uses different aftermarket radiator.
7 200 miles later, leaking again from radiator. car taken to acura dealer who can find no discernable problem but acknowledges that there is "something wrong with this car". wants to remove water pump, etc and go on a fishing expedition.

the engine never overheats but there is a definite pressure problem. my neighbor suggests a crack at the bottom of the engine block and to use a sealing additive.

anybody have any ideas what is going on?
Old 12-23-2003, 02:14 PM
worleybot
part time tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

96 integras came from the factory with a faulty radiator in fact if you order one from acura you get the same problem from late 95 to early 97 they used radiators with a brown tank get rid of it and buy an all alum. one. but it sounds like some kind of damage may have already been done. I assume that you took it to a competent mechanic? If you don't torque those bolts down right on the head the gasket won't hold and did he use a high dollar gasket kit? If there was a problem at the bottom of the engine you would more than likely fine water in your oil or vice versa I think it is just cheap replacement parts compounded by the fact that that year integra had a faulty radiator to begin with.