Notices

strut replacement 2000 accord

Old 12-15-2003, 06:06 PM
winniedad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strut replacement 2000 accord

Need a little help, I have a 2000 Honda Accord Ex 4 cylinder 5 speed, I am going to replace the factory struts with KYB GR2's (already got them). I am not lowering the car at all, but need to know how involved this is if any has any hints about doing this. I have not installed struts on this type of suspension setup before but have installed struts before on other types of suspension. I have a chilton manual on this but it is not very informative. With everyones help at the site I was able to replace my timing/balance belt and water pump successfully a couple months ago! A long job but very worthwhile!
Old 12-15-2003, 08:30 PM
jschmid

Hey there. I've done mine, and I have the service manual. I have pics for ya. They aren't huge pics, and they overlap, but all the info is there. Ignore my last few camber pics on that page.

http://www.clubphoto.com/_cgi-bin/ap...k_code=sa01_17

Hope that helps.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:44 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

When I replaced and installed the new TOkico RAK501, I didn't see the bump stop plate for the 2 rears, so I used the addition Washers instead of it. I don't remember seeing the colar either. I've had it over half a year though. I think the shop that installed my previous GC Coilover + Tokico Illuminas forgot them. So do you think it'll cause any problem?
Old 12-16-2003, 05:45 AM
winniedad

Very good pictures, thank you alot. What I needed to know is nothing else needs removed on the suspension itself except for the strut assembly itself. I looked at the chilton's manual and they had the whole drive assembly pulled off the half shaft it looked like. I don't have to do that it looks like, correct? Thanks.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:17 AM
jschmid

Nope, just follow those instructions. The front is a bit tighter than the rear when wiggling out the spring/shock combo, you may have to loosen something else like a control arm, but no drivetrain stuff. After you get that shock/spring combo unbolted, you'll need to push down on the brake rotor or wheel studs to open up enough room to pull the shock/spring assembly out from the car. Helps to have another set of hands.

Good luck, hit me back if you have other questions.

PooBoi: I can't picture exactly what you mean, but I guess as long as it's structurally sound in there, you should be okay. :dunno:
Old 12-16-2003, 10:33 AM
skabone69

Default Re: strut replacement 2000 accord

I'm just curious as to why you wouldnt' drop you car if you going to be doing the struts any way? springs aren't too expensive and you be in there and you'll have all the tools.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:12 PM
winniedad

one more question for you, for the spring compressors, I never saw that kind of setup before, can I still use the regular type of spring compressors, you know the type that has the hooks on both ends and goes on both sides for a mcpherson type strut or is it suggested to use this type compressor.

skabone69
It would be nice to drop the car I guess but with a wife, three kids and a mortgage and two car payments lowering the car isn't a priority, I like it the way it is (stock) and the main thing I wanted (5-speed) I got! (Besides I am an old and rickety 41 years old now!)
Old 12-16-2003, 04:04 PM
jschmid

Originally posted by winniedad
one more question for you, for the spring compressors, I never saw that kind of setup before, can I still use the regular type of spring compressors, you know the type that has the hooks on both ends and goes on both sides for a mcpherson type strut or is it suggested to use this type compressor.

Yep, you can use the traditional type of spring compressor you described just fine, that's what I used. I'm sure it'd be nice to have one of those commercial spring compressors pictured in the manual, but the cheaper ones work fine.