Notices

Looking For Answers For 6th Gen...fuel And Tranny Filter

Old 12-15-2003, 01:32 PM
Accord1278

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For Answers For 6th Gen...fuel And Tranny Filter

I got a 6th sedan LX (I-4, auto) and I know you don't change the tranny filter or the fuel filter on the car. I want to know why don't these filters have to be changed? I mean a filter is meant to filter out contaminents, dirt, etc and eventually it will get dirty and clogged because filters have a shelf life just like air and oil filters. So why does the tranny and the fuel filter on these cars not have to be changed? For the fuel filter, is it because it's inside the gas tank and that continous flowing motion of the gas in there keeps it clean by "rinsing" it constantly or something like that? And for the tranny, does the Honda tranny fluid have some sort of additive in it that keeps the particles, shavings, etc. suspended and when you drain/change the tranny fluid, everything flushes out? I just want to know why Honda chose this method than the regular traditional method because I think most cars out there have filters and are not this way. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'd appreciate anyone that can shed some knowledge on the matter.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:27 AM
Accord1278

ok there's got to be someone who can shed some knowledge on this matter!
Old 12-16-2003, 09:25 AM
jschmid

I've heard the fuel filter is a lifetime filter that doesn't need replacement. It's inside the gas tank so it's not exactly designed for easy replacement.

There are some tranny fluid filters built into the tranny, but you can only replace them if you were tearing it down and rebuilding it. The ATF drain plug is magnetic, you can clean off the shavings when draining. Best for ATF is frequent fluid change.

Neither one are listed as scheduled maintainence, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you have problems.

Sorry if that doesn't help much.