Notices

type r LSD diff into a gsr?

Old 12-13-2003, 11:38 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default type r LSD diff into a gsr?

Anyone thought of putting a type r LSD diff into a GSR? I've been looking at the transmissions and comparing them to see if it can be done. I have a 2000 Si but the trans cases look the same as a GSR or TYPE-R. everyone I ask at performace shops in my town look dumbfounded at the idea,(big surprise there) Anyways, If anyone's done what I'm talking about post plz. If not I will look into it further and do it if it's possible. If I do it I'll post pics and maybe a DIY.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:12 AM
airon
AARONNOJIMA.COM

im pretty sure it is 100% possible...although i havent done it....pretty much all bseries parts are interchangable

but on the most parts most tranny parts are almost all similar...
Old 12-14-2003, 12:21 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

I think that if you get an ITR LSD from a US Spec ITR, then it should "bolt" right in, as both the ITR and GS-R (US spec) have the same final gear ratio (4.400).

Should be a relatively bolt in procedure, and any decent tranny shop should have no problem dropping it in...

Though, I dunno about the J-spec ITR, because I know that has a different final drive gear....
Old 12-14-2003, 01:08 AM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

yeah, That's where I came up with the idea, I know the only difference is the diff. in those tranny's (us spec). Since the tranny cases are the same on my Si it should work. I figured on ordering the LSD parts from the acura catalog at my work( an acura dealer). lmao, I encourage everyone on this forum to learn about cars and take some college classes if they can. I happen to know how to build trannys pretty good so forget sending it to a trans shop. Manual transmissions are really simple on Honda's. I had to replace a gear set on a 6spd 03 cl type-s a couple months ago and it's really nothing more then a civic trans. this idea has been boiling in my head for awhile now, The only thing that will suck is setting diff. bearing end load and stuff like that. I find shimming diff's very annoying and sometimes frustrating.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:54 AM
aphex
driftin'

Originally posted by Epoch
I think that if you get an ITR LSD from a US Spec ITR, then it should "bolt" right in, as both the ITR and GS-R (US spec) have the same final gear ratio (4.400).

Should be a relatively bolt in procedure, and any decent tranny shop should have no problem dropping it in...

Though, I dunno about the J-spec ITR, because I know that has a different final drive gear....
Final gear ratio is different, the GS-R's is slightly lower. That dosn't matter though, because if you were replacing the tranny, you would have the ITR's final ratio. . . get it ;D

Anyway, dosnt matter, ITR tranny will bolt up to GS-R's and LS's no problem.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:35 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

You can buy just the differential and replace the open diff in the GSR with the LSD from the ITR. Or if you want to pop for a real spiffy diff then get a Quaife.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:33 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally posted by aphex
Final gear ratio is different, the GS-R's is slightly lower. That dosn't matter though, because if you were replacing the tranny, you would have the ITR's final ratio. . . get it ;D

Anyway, dosnt matter, ITR tranny will bolt up to GS-R's and LS's no problem.
Really? I thought the final drive was the same, and the rest of the drive gears were different...
Old 12-15-2003, 12:51 PM
aphex
driftin'

My bad, i thought the final drive was off by a small margin. USDM ITR tranny has the same final drive as the GS-R tranny but with shorter 2nd-5th gears. The GS-R has the same gearing as the LS tranny in 1st and 2nd but much shorter 3rd-5th, and a 2-3% shorter final drive. The ITR tranny will keep ya spinning high on the freeway (3500rpm at 60mph), but the gearing means great acceleration and the LSD is great also. If you can afford it, get your hands on an ITR one. It bolts up fine but you might need different axles or shift linkage or something, I dunno. But it does work without too much trouble.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:25 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Like I already mentioned, you don't have to buy an entire ITR transmission to get the LSD. Assorted places sell just the diff and you can put it in basically any B-series transmission.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:23 PM
aphex
driftin'

True, or buy a quaife or any good helical LSD. I think your better off replacing a LS tranny with an entire ITR tranny, if i had a GSR i'd spend my money on a nice LSDiff