Notices

Automatic trans, slips some on upshifts

Old 12-13-2003, 10:20 PM
Uconn411

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic trans, slips some on upshifts

Some history on this car. Its a 1995 automatic transmission, Integra (non-Vtec) that my cousin bought used, 75k on it. After purchased, he noticed that the 2nd to 3rd gear shift on it sometimes slips. As in, the tach will be at say 2000rpm, and then will go up 3500, and pop into 3rd. It does happen once in a while, and you can hear the engine rev up in rpms, until it catches 3rd. Now, its not a horrible thud or anything like that. But it is obviously a problem. Not sure when last fluid was changed in the transmission.

I am encouraging him to at least get Honda trans. fluid and change it. Don't know if he'd be better off with a flush..... But just browsing though this forum I thought you guys might be able to input some valuable info. Thx for any help.

Edit: Here a link from an Acura Legend forum that describes how to best change the trans. fluid, don't know if he should do this though.
http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...&threadid=4818

On a complete side issue, are you heat and AC control levers very hard to move? When he 1st got the car, I though they were frozen. I was afraid to break them, but they do function.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:30 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

If you don't know the last time the fluid was flushed on an auto tranny, DO IT NOW AND USE HONDA FLUID. Auto trannys DEPEND on a specific viscosity of fluid to properly transfer the torque, and if your fluid is old or shitty, it will cause a loss of torque, possibly causing the symptoms you described. Do it now.

And, on my car, the heat control variable lever is very firm...
Old 12-14-2003, 05:52 AM
Red GSR

I've driven about 3 Honda Accord automatics of that era and all three have that problem. It's most noticable when you are making right turns. It's really annoying and I doubt you can do anything to fix it. Either way, all three cars never had transmission problems and 2 of them got over 200k miles currently.

My 95 Integra also has really hard to move HVAC controls.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:34 AM
Uconn411

Thx for the input guys. Glad to see that Red GSR has experienced this before on integras. Feel better now that the transmission isn't going.

Do you guys think it is best to take the car into the dealer for a flush, or just a simple drain and refill? I read in a few random posts on Google that the pressure used with the flushing machines may damage the seals? Don't know how true this is...
Old 12-18-2003, 11:16 AM
Mac O

<Sigh of relief> Same situation here. Draining and refilling seems easy enough, and cheap, but now you've got me wondering about the pressure from the flushing machines should I decide to take it to a shop. Further, will any decent shop do, or should we only go to Honda or Acura? Stealership prices usually aren't that great...
Old 12-23-2003, 03:49 PM
Uconn411

The dealership I went to wanted $130 for a flush using their BG machine. The guy at the counter even said to just buy 8 quarts, and drain and refill it twice, a couple days apart.