Notices

GSR Header to LS... I know, it's been discussed before.

Old 12-09-2003, 07:53 AM
thork
Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR Header to LS... I know, it's been discussed before.

I have done the search and found a couple of threads on the same subject, but I think mine is slightly different than the rest.

I have a 94 LS 2 door coupe. I plan on buying my friend's 5zigen header that he bought for his GSR, but he unfortunately wrecked it and has the new part in his basement, un-installed.

Anyways, I can get the header at a steal of a deal, and I also found a website with a 5zigen cat-back exhaust for my LS for a good price as well.

To make the 5zigen header fit, will I have to get a GSR cat, or am I basically forced to make/buy a test-pipe?

I appreciate any answers.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:17 AM
SUPER LAUBO
KiMBO's Hubby

you can always go to a muffler shop and they'll extend the pipe 6" for you. a cat will cost too much!! :thumbup:
Old 12-09-2003, 09:49 AM
thork
Enthusiast

Really? My cat would need to be extended 6 inches for the header to fit? Wow. Well, thanks for the info.

Do you think I should do this? I mean, I'm getting the header for 100 dollars, would it be worth it to do the cat-extension?

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:20 AM
SUPER LAUBO
KiMBO's Hubby

sure, as long as the header is in good condition. 100 bucks is pretty damn cheap. just make sure the it isn't all dented up or cracked.

the extension will either be behind or infront of the cat. usually the muffler shop will cut the flange in front of the cat, weld in an extension piece about 6" and send you along your merry ways. it shouldn't cost more than $30.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:17 AM
thork
Enthusiast

Very cool.

So, just to confirm what you're saying, they will only modify the cat, not the header designed for a 94 GSR, or the exhaust designed for a 94 LS, just my 94 stock cat?

Thanks again for the info, it is appreciated. :thumbup:
Old 12-09-2003, 11:50 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone know whether the GS-R header will bolt up to your non-VTEC head???

If that's OK, what year is the GS-R?

I think you'll want the muffler shop to extend the front end of the cat, & put an O2 sensor bung on that extension. My '95 GS-R has the O2 sensor in the entrance of the cat, but your LS has it in the end of the A-pipe. The GS-R header is too short to reach your cat, but the long GS-R cat puts the O2 sensor pretty much in the same place under the car. Some time after '95 the length of the GS-R A-pipe changed.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:57 PM
thork
Enthusiast

Alright JimBlake, very nice info. Thanks a lot.

After much thinking, I have decided to just get a header/exhaust that will bolt right up to my LS, no modifications. I think I would just feel more comfortable knowing that the part was made specificly for my year/model car.

Well, I'll be ordering my exhaust some time this week, only with the hope that I can get it before the X-mas UPS rush next week.

Thanks again for helping me make my decision guys.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:53 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I didn't mean to say you shouldn't do it... If you can find someone to verify it'll bolt up to your head.

Extending the front end of the cat & putting on a fitting for the O2 sensor seems pretty easy. I just wanted you to be aware that the sensor was gonna need someplace to go.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:05 AM
Spec R

I'm pretty sure it wont bolt up to the head. Some people have had success with it from what i've read online. But myself and 3 of my mechanic buddies all say all vtec headers will not fit on non-vtec heads, from experience.

Example: A 2000 ITR exhaust manifold lined up perfect in my 2000 LS, but once we got everything out, the bolt patterns were different on the head. The two studs on the ends of the exhaust ports fit, but nothing else.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:00 PM
SUPER LAUBO
KiMBO's Hubby

the GSR and LS should fit. it's been done before with hybrid swaps. i'm not too sure about ITR fitment though.

i know the ITR has the same fitment as the B16 head, but that's as much as i know.