Notices

Transmission

Old 12-09-2003, 05:21 AM
tj4ndirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission

I have 91 Accord that is having transmission problems. It appears to slip and on occassion has problems going into gear, reverse and drive. The person that had the car before me, said he had the same problem, he was told that it was due to the battery. Once the battery was replaced, the problem went away. It is now back.

Questions are: Has anybody heard of such a thing? This is the first I've ever heard of it. If this isn't the problem what else could it be? The tranny was just flushed and filled and they found no unusual wear and tear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
TJ
Old 12-09-2003, 05:59 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

first change the tranny the fluid. if it's still their i think your tranny is on its way out.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:01 AM
tj4ndirish

The transmission fluid and filter was just changed a week ago.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:48 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

the tranny filter in a honda auto tranny is not changeable without dropping the tranny and opening it up. i hope a shop didn't charge you for a filter.

anyways, i think your tranny is on the way out. you have a few options, given the age of your car i would either get used auto tranny installed or swap to 5sp. you may even want to sell the car for another. whatever you do, don't spend money on rebuilding or buying a new rebuilt tranny cause it'll cost more than what the car is worth.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:15 AM
tj4ndirish

That sounds about right. I was just in the car with the actual owner of the vehicle. We drove around and there is a whining coming from the engine compartment.......as the rpm's increase so does the whining. I got under the hood and had her hit the gas, and the sound is coming from between the engine and the tranny. My guess is that it is the torque converter. Am I on the right track?

Thanks,
TJ
Old 12-09-2003, 12:00 PM
92lx

sounds like your tranny is on the way out ;o). I'd have to really listen to it to narrow it, but that sounds probable. As for options, you may consider an h23 or h22 automatic transmission, which, if you can find a local engine block swap place (like here we have NY Block Exchange or something), a lot of times if they carry H22 Swaps, they'll actually GIVE you an h22/h23 automatic transmission - because they can't sell the darn things. I was told this by the guy at my local shop, and he told me he would have given it to me, but he had thrown it out the day before (go figure).

good luck!

- Nathan
Old 12-09-2003, 12:18 PM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

Originally posted by tj4ndirish
That sounds about right. I was just in the car with the actual owner of the vehicle. We drove around and there is a whining coming from the engine compartment.......as the rpm's increase so does the whining. I got under the hood and had her hit the gas, and the sound is coming from between the engine and the tranny. My guess is that it is the torque converter. Am I on the right track?

Thanks,
TJ
i don't believe it is the TC. a honda tech has come on to one of these boards and explained. i believe it has to do with that internal screen/filter that gets clogged and it cuts off the tranny oil flow so it slowly makes your tranny die a slow death.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:12 PM
uclaccord

didn't know u could actually HEAR the tranny go bad...whas that sound like...and how can ur car slip from reverse/gear...1) that should destroy ur tranny and 2) if u have an auto, which i'm assuming u do, the neutral is in betwen reverse and d4...so how does it slip?...the batt shouldn't affect tranny tho
Old 12-10-2003, 04:51 AM
tj4ndirish

Always has to be a sarcastic person on every site. Guess we found him here.

You CAN hear a tranny going bad. But, I don't believe I said you could hear the tranny, I said there was a noise coming from between the motor and tranny. I also don't remember saying that the tranny slipped from reverse to drive. I said that it had problems going in to gears LIKE reverse and drive.

But thanks for your input (sarcastic):madfawk: