Notices

More problems from my alternator...

Old 12-08-2003, 04:58 PM
IamNemo
You know me...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More problems from my alternator...

So I drove to Rolla, MO and back this weekend (5 hours from where I live). I drove there during daylight hours, and drove back at night. So I'm driving at night...and my headlights/interior lights brighten and dim a little bit...but I'm used to that. They started doing it A LOT more on the trip home. At time it got to the point where they'd change brightness several times in a matter of seconds. Also, I pulled into a town to get so Coke (I was TIRED yo) and my gas gauge started doing funny things. When I pushed the clutch in and braked to turn, the needle would drop. After I turned and started accelerating it would go back up. It also did this when I got back home and started driving around town. It had NEVER done this before yesterday. I'm thinking this all stems from my alternator sucking ass and not consistantly putting out enough voltage (and possibly my battery). Am I right...or does someone have more insight?
Old 12-09-2003, 01:02 PM
IamNemo
You know me...

^ BUMP...any help is appreciated...
Old 12-09-2003, 06:26 PM
ItsaHonda

Either that, or a bad ground somewhere. It will cause the lights and needles to do strange things (such as flicker) Usually when an alternator is failing, the lack of voltage will trigger the battery light. Its unfornutate that these cars don't have volt meters from the factory to monitor. I do know that the average life span of a Nippendenso alternator in the Accords is about 10-12 years and 150,000 miles. Very seldom do they fail early, as do Delphi units.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:36 AM
IamNemo
You know me...

Well I replaced the alternator a few months ago...I never had a problem with my old factory alternator. Did I just get ripped on an alternator?