Notices

Missing header bolt/stud?

Old 12-08-2003, 09:01 AM
emry5treasure

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing header bolt/stud?

I recently had DC Sports 4-2-1 headers installed on my 1994 GSR (4-door). After driving the car home from the shop I noticed that the far left bolt/stud on the header was missing. Thinking that this was an installation error I took my car back to the shop that did the work and asked for an explanation. They said it was because there was no hole in the head for the bolt/stud. Is it possible that some B18C1s were manufactured with only 8 header bolts instead of 9? Just trying to find out if this is a factory defect or what...thanks.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:53 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

They're all 9 bolt. Sounds like someone sheared off the stud at the head.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:19 PM
newgsrdriver

The lower left stud is the most commonly snapped. Thats all it is.

They are lying. They snapped your stud...what shop is this? That is just awful...the EXACT reason you gotta do things yourself.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:55 PM
Daniel

I have a snapped stud as well, same location. The only way I see to get it out is tap and dye it. I hope clearance issues don't force me to pull the engine.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:57 PM
emry5treasure

Thanks for all of the thoughtful responses. If there is no exhaust leak around the snapped stud is there any reason to worry about it. Keeping in mind that the shop I took it to is one I have a long/good relationship with what would be a good course of action. If there is no possibility of damage to either the head or the header should I just forget about it? Again...thanks.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:43 PM
newgsrdriver

Ummm...any "shop" that bullshits you like that is either
a)incompetent
or
b)dishonest

Why deal with either? Id demand them to pay for it to be fixed, and never come back.

Shouldnt have to pull the motor...definitely not. At the most, pull the fan and/or radiator. FYI, Ive had that stud snapped for like...50k without any problems.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:52 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Snapped studs here aswell... Go back and let them have an earful... that's messed up that they'd pull that kind of shady business on you
Old 12-08-2003, 09:06 PM
emry5treasure

I think what actually happened is they let an inexperienced (new) mechanic do the install. I know the guy that did it and he really isn't very bright, but that is no excuse. The rest of the mechanics are very reputable, honest and have never done me wrong in the past so I think I will give them the opportunity to fix the problem before I bother to get upset. Plus, it sounds like fixed/ or not fixed a snapped stud isn't really anything to worry about. I think I will simply request that another mechanic be put on the job next time I have them do any work for me. I would like to get them to at least admit that the wrong doing was on their part...but I don't think I will burn any bridges just yet. Thanks again for all the feedback. This is the first thread I have ever started and it was quite informative and helpful.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:20 AM
SUPER LAUBO
KiMBO's Hubby

keep us posted on it...

any shop that doesn't admit their mistakes and attempt to cover it up by giving you a dumb answer is considered dishonest!!!!

i'd take offense in them trying to treat me like a dumb sh!t. :airon:

goodluck :thumbup:
Old 12-09-2003, 11:35 AM
Batouttahell
what did you dream?...

That bolt is kind of important. In Drumsy's case, it shouldn't be too hard to find a rental place with a right-angle drill to insert the proper sized e-z out to remove the broken stud.

I had a Jeep that poured smoke out of the manifold area when a manifold bolt completely backed out. 'Had something to do with galleys in the manifold or head allowing coolant or oil to hit the manifold. Nice way to simulate engine fire.
good luck,
-W-