Notices

Any ideas w/this problem?

Old 12-08-2003, 02:40 AM
Velolion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ideas w/this problem?

I was hoping that someone might have an idea as to what the problem may be with my '91 Accord EX (other than it's old...hey, 225K and has up until now run flawlessly!)

Here's the scenario: my buddy started my car for me this weekend while I was scraping ice and snow off of it but I forgot to tell him that the key's worn and so he needed to watch out because it sticks in the "start" position sometimes. Jist of the story is that the car started and was idling nicely for about 2 or three minutes but then suddenly just quit. No sputtering, or anything, just up and quit running. It now will not start. Turns out that the key was stuck in the start position and so the starter was spinning the whole time the car was idling (I actually heard it but it didn't click in my head as to what the sound was).

When I attempt to start the engine I hear the starter relay down by the driver footwell fusebox clicking and also can hear the starter solenoid in the engine bay engaging, but I get zero engine turnover. It seems as if the starter got burnt out which, of course, if very possible. However, I am wondering, due to the fact that the engine died while running (which a starter gone south wouldn't cause, I don't believe) if maybe something else happend such as the starter motor seizing with the starter clutch engaged.

I have checked all the fuses in the driver footwell fuse box as well as in the fusebox under the hood. Is the starter motor have its own fuse that's maybe in-line with the wiring and therefore isn't in either of the fuseboxes? The simple (and cheap) might be that such a few blew due to the starter motor freewheeling and that since it did so while the starter motor clutch was engaged maybe it jammed things up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian
Old 12-08-2003, 04:51 AM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow... no idea

going out on a limb, but maybe coincidentally your alt went out and your battery drained. maybe the extended pull from your starter being engaged killed it:dunno: that would explain the "click and no spin"