Notices

Installed UR Crank Pulley... help!

Old 12-06-2003, 08:52 PM
90AccordEX4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed UR Crank Pulley... help!

For the hell of it, since I had to pull the crank pulley to replace the timing belt / water pump anyway, I put on a UR Crank Pulley. I am 100% positive all the belts are on correct (balancer belt in particular). I noticed IMMEDIATELY upon startup the engine does NOT run smooth like it used to. It is like one of the balancer shafts is out of whack but I am sure it's aligned the same way it was when I took it off. Any ideas what's going on here?... does the pulley make that much of a difference!? Did those of you with UR Crank Pulleys experience something similar? Help I don't want to ruin my engine... that was a pain to install too...
Old 12-06-2003, 10:21 PM
92lx

UR pulleys do not have a harmonic balancer on them like the stock pulley, that is why a lot of other companies do not make underdrive crank pulleys for a honda.....as it will throw the crank off balance a bit. ESPECIALLY in an older car where the crank may be out of balance (since from the factory they are balanced). Highly discouraged to use these on a street driven daily driver.

- Nathan
Old 12-06-2003, 11:30 PM
96JdmAccord
Im So JDM

From what I hear pulley's are nothing but trouble.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:43 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it off....unless you ejoy some serious crank issues...not balancer makes for bad things in the engine bay.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:09 AM
guaynabo89

When you replace parts of your rotating assembly wih lighter parts you will notice a "not as smooth" feeling in the engine.

The weight of these parts is what keeps the engine spinning at a steady pace.

If you install a alum flywheel you willl notice this also.

If you have these aftermarket parts balanced before installing them you should not have any problems.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:04 AM
92lx

yes, but you must also balance the crank - especially if the car has a lot miles. This means tearing down the motor.

- Nathan
Old 12-07-2003, 12:32 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Many people never have an issue running pulleys and flywheels.

Call UR and talk with customer support, many aftermarket parts do allow the engine to vibrate more then stock, giving a rough feel, however on many of today's newer engines its not an issue with longevity just smoothness. Since the F-series uses rotational balancing shafts for harmonics I doubt a rough idle from the new pulley is an issue. Remember many hardcore street driven engines actually remove the balance shaft mechanisms.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:36 PM
90AccordEX4

The funny thing is I just took the engine apart again and found that both belts were a tooth off, so I fixed that and to my surprise it STILL runs a little rough. Checked Ignition timing, triple checked all the belts... it does not run like it used to. What the hell!?

Oh and I DO also have an 8 lb. Aluminum flywheel... maybe my my crank is TOO light now!?
Old 12-07-2003, 02:59 PM
Mr Hyde
Accord Forum Moderator

I was about to say it sounds like more of a prob with the timing belt than the UR pulley. You sure the belts are now correctly on, and that the timing is dead on?

The TL-S / The 540i
Old 12-07-2003, 04:29 PM
90AccordEX4

Yep, belts are on correctly... and ignition timing is dead on (17BTDC). I think my crank is just old and out of balance now with the light flywheel, aftermarket clutch and now UR crank pulley :dunno: