Notices

h22 in atup 5th gen?

Old 12-06-2003, 06:23 PM
Sonny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22 in atup 5th gen?

I have a friend with a 2k1 lude, he's putting an all motor h22 in and he's selling his stock one. It's been taken care of with mobil1 synthetic and only has 43k. He says I can have the ecu and everything, I know I'll need an obd2-obd1 convertor, but my question is what will I need to make it fit my f22 auto tranny?
Old 12-06-2003, 07:15 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

to the best of my knowledge, the f22 tranny just bolts right up to it.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:17 PM
A_D
Reset?

i'm pretty sure that motor will tear that tranny apart
Old 12-06-2003, 09:55 PM
accordhybrid

If you are going to keep it an AUTOMAGIC then don't do the swap its a waste of time and money plus being that he is a 2001 prelude and you are going to convert to OBD1 then you need to get a 92-95 P13 ECU OBD1 injectors, dist, and the jumper harness.

Accordhybrid
Old 12-06-2003, 10:13 PM
92lx

the misconception that honda automatics are weak is very bogus. I have seen post upon post by people who work in transmission shops that state that of any manufacturer (not counting the J series trannies), that the automatic transmission made by Honda is by far the best, and in fact, is not too far from a 5 speed in nature. Besides this fact, it's far more consistant, and with more power the disadvantages begin to slowly fade away. The only TRUE disadvantage is that the auto weighs a good 100lbs more (well, a little less but that's not the point).

Anyhow, consistant 1/4 mile times indicate only a tenth of a second difference. Also, the automatic transmission is plenty strong, and in some cases, I'd argue stronger than the 5 speed - depending upon the setup and particulars of that car.

Furthermore, it will directly bolt up to the F22 transmission, but for about $300 you could get a used Prelude one, probably the h23 being the best compromise between gas millage and acceleration. The F22 tranny is great if you're thinking about boost, but otherwise stick to the H series......even though gas millage would be better with the F22, the F22 will be a severe weak link in the system.

- Nathan
Old 12-07-2003, 05:17 PM
polakatl

I highly doubt 1/4mi times are so close between aut and 5spd. All the auto accords I have been in (i4) are nothing compared to my 5spd. Plus u get a lot more fun and control from a manual than an auto. For me its even safer to drive than auto.

Please if ur getting the engine for free invest in a manual.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:52 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by polakatl

Please if ur getting the engine for free invest in a manual.
Never a better piece of advice uttered on this board.

The F22 will be shifting about the time you begin to go into Vtec it will in no way take advantage of the motors potential in the least.

Yes it will bolt directly and is a good temporary use tranny....but first chance you get ditch that tranny and invest in the H22 tranny or at the least the H23 tranny.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:47 PM
hype8912
Dr. Klaw

Check out www.h22a.org they have a full install for an h22 in a 5th gen. I've got some other links. I'll just have to find them.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:08 AM
92lx

the quarter mile times are indeed that close in all the cases that I've seen. A 5 speed may *FEEL* faster, but it truly isn't a great advantage, particularly in the H series' trannys. Also, I will agree that it is more fun to drive the 5 speed, but it is also a lot easier to screw up.

- Nathan
Old 12-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Sonny

i understand all the issues with the auto tranny, but i don't have any money for a tranny swap or anything like that right now. I'm wondering though, if i get a auto prelude ecu will it take advantage of the vtec xover so if I step on it it shifts at say 7K?

he said I could have his ecu if needed.....anyone????