Notices

New-to-me '95 EX, have some questions

Old 12-06-2003, 02:41 PM
Dblagent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New-to-me '95 EX, have some questions

Wanted to first say hi, I'm a n00b to the board. I just picked up a '95 Civic Ex Coupe to use as a daily driver. My commute is around 100 miles a day The car is bone stock, 115k miles, and the only things replaced have been cv boots and rotors. This is my first Honda (funny for a 30 year old), and I know they will last almost forever, but can you give me an idea what to plan on replacing soon? I'm putting a new timing belt and p/s belt next week.

I don't have big plans for mods - it's a commuter car first and foremost. Most likely an AEM intake, WS exhaust, new seats with at least some lower back support (probably Corbeau), Eibach Pro Kit springs, Koni Yellows, and probably some 5Zigen Super Six's. Opinions on those is appreciated.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:43 PM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

don't get an intake, just go for a k&n drop in filter.

apex'i WS rules

look into some integra seats. I love mine

the rest is straight.

you might have a bit more time on the timing belt, tho. usually they have about 70k miles (people go more or less, but 70k is good for me). While you're at it, do the water pump.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:22 PM
TeHJuSTiN
NAM #0001

Save the money from the Corbeau's and get a Greddy turbo kit :naughty:
Old 12-06-2003, 08:27 PM
93HybridCX
Beast from the East

:wavey: Welcome to HAN :wiggle:

I would change the timing belt (because the previous owner may not have at 90K like you are suposed to) and the water pump.
Your plans sound good:goodjob:
Old 12-06-2003, 09:04 PM
honura
Seni

Yep I have a 95 coupe at the moment as well ! I love it but the HB is calling me ! !
Old 12-07-2003, 12:11 AM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

You sir, are on the right friggen track! The intake I can't agrtee on. If you spend 200 on an intake that will get you MAYBE 1-2hp more than a $30 intake, you're nuts. Save it and put the money elsewhere. If I had it to do all over again, I never would have spent the money on a header and intake. I would have saved and gone straight to boost. I pieced togehter a junkyard turbo setup for under 450, and I'm laying down almost 200hp... Compare that to your $200 AEM intake and a $200 header that might get you 2-10hp...
Old 12-07-2003, 08:11 AM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

Originally posted by Bakeoff
You sir, are on the right friggen track! The intake I can't agrtee on. If you spend 200 on an intake that will get you MAYBE 1-2hp more than a $30 intake, you're nuts. Save it and put the money elsewhere. If I had it to do all over again, I never would have spent the money on a header and intake. I would have saved and gone straight to boost. I pieced togehter a junkyard turbo setup for under 450, and I'm laying down almost 200hp... Compare that to your $200 AEM intake and a $200 header that might get you 2-10hp...
send me that parts list

I need a new header h:
Old 12-07-2003, 11:30 AM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

Originally posted by 18secFerio
send me that parts list

I need a new header h:
I never came up with a list, just picked up parts as I needed them.

Hf/Cx Manifold
Adaptor plate
Turbo
downpipe-normally done by a muffler shop to your specs
oil feed line and fittings
intercooler
charge piping
bov
FMU
adjustable FPR
A/F guage
boost guage
upgraded fuel pump
fuel pressure guage

I think that's about it for a BASIC setup. Just don't go nuts on boost until you get some engine management. I plan on getting a hondata in the spring, but I'm concentrating on the block at the moment.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Wharbone

If I were in your situtuation, I would concentrate on suspension. The eibach's and koni's will work great. Also look into sway bars.

I think the 5zigen wheels look nice, but I don't think they come in sizes under 17". IMO 17's on a 5th gen with the eibach pro kit would look funny. I think you would be happier with 15's or 16's.

I probably wouldn't look in to the "go faster" mods if I were you. If I was driving that much a day, I would want the best fuel ecconomy I could have.

In addition to the timing belt and p/s belt, I think you should replace your water pump (at same time as timing belt), fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, unless the previous owner told you when these were all replaced. I would also probably flush your fluids.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:52 PM
dantastic
cx power!

Originally posted by 18secFerio
don't get an intake, just go for a k&n drop in filter.

k&n drop in wont do shit for performance. ever dyno sheet ive seen for it shows 0-1 hp gain. the whole point of getting an intake system is to open up/remove the restrictive air box. the only things good about the k&n drop in: it lasts "1000000" miles, and its completely legal in cali