Notices

Considering some options.

Old 12-05-2003, 11:34 PM
FA9S8U

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering some options.

Well....I've had my second generation integra for a few months now, and I basicly have all the bolt-ons, and still wanting more power.

Having the B18A Motor I'm considering going tubo with it's allready lower compression and not having much of a top end. However the car has 180+ thousand miles on the clock, and if I'm gonna run boost I'd want to run "respectable amont " somewhere around 17-18 lbs. Therefore before I do that I'm deffinently going to want to rebuild the motor with some different valves, possibly some new cams, some stronger rods, and crank...and possibly some lower compression pistons. Im not to sure about resleving it seems kind of expensive and somewhat dangerous. I dont think it's necessary for less then twenty lbs...I could be wrong there.

Then the other option that I have considered is tracking down a B16A with tranny, and ecu. Then swapping it for my b18a and raise the compression a little bit and play off the variable valve timeing. Then if all else fails or that is slow I might consider going turbo.

My ultimate goal is to put this car into the low 14's, where it is pretty fast and still daily driveable. That and I would also like to be able to hold on to for the next ten years or so, (five would be decent). I've just been tossing these two ideas arond for the past two weeks both of them seem logical in my opinion I'm just haveing a hard time picking one and being able to set my goals toward that, and would like some other people's opinons!
Old 12-05-2003, 11:43 PM
Optiblue

I think 17 to 18 pounds of boost would throw you a bit more under the 14second mark... you're going to need a better clutch and flywheel too... but how can you say no to turbo!!! but I dunno... it's a little on the pricey side... playing with compression ratio's is cool too, but I dunno if you'll pass air care or not... it's a headache when that test comes around once eveyr 2 years.... I personally left my gen 3 at the point where it has all the bolt ons and just learned how to drive better the way it is...
Old 12-05-2003, 11:50 PM
FA9S8U

The best part is...where I live there is no emissions testing, so I can pretty much get away with anything, I really like the car and I'm willing to invest some money in it!
Old 12-06-2003, 12:04 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

Default Re: Considering some options.

Originally posted by FA9S8U
Having the B18A Motor I'm considering going tubo with it's allready lower compression and not having much of a top end. However the car has 180+ thousand miles on the clock, and if I'm gonna run boost I'd want to run "respectable amont " somewhere around 17-18 lbs. Therefore before I do that I'm deffinently going to want to rebuild the motor with some different valves, possibly some new cams, some stronger rods, and crank...and possibly some lower compression pistons. Im not to sure about resleving it seems kind of expensive and somewhat dangerous. I dont think it's necessary for less then twenty lbs...I could be wrong there.
wow....um....you need to do some reading. 17-18 pounds of boost is a lot for a street car. possibly lower compression pistons? better make that positively.

EDIT* you say you have a second gen teg, yet you have a 3rd gen in your sig :thinking: :eh:
Old 12-06-2003, 12:19 AM
FA9S8U

The third gen teg was my first car, it was an automatic I wanted a five speed, my parents woudln't sell the third generation and at the time I only had about $2,000 so I considered eiher a civic hatchback or a gen 2. The car I got was the first decent one I came across....I've just not updated my sig!

But yeah...Possibly snuck it's way in there with the pistons!
Old 12-06-2003, 12:46 AM
stevieteg

Default Re: Considering some options.

Originally posted by FA9S8U
I'm gonna run boost I'd want to run "respectable amont " somewhere around 17-18 lbs.

My ultimate goal is to put this car into the low 14's, where it is pretty fast and still daily driveable.

Hummm... 17-18 pounds of boost should (depending on how you can drive) give you way lower than low 14's in 1/4 mile. 17-18 pounds of boost would require pretty much an entire build of your motor. lower compression, sleeved block,etc... Do a compression and leak down test on your motor, if they come out good, then build a turbo kit for your stock motor. Running 9lbs of boost on a stock b18a will get you into the low 14's pretty easily, of course depening on driver and proper tuning.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:03 AM
forum95
I'm Cooler than You

Running 17-18 pounds of boost is gonna put hella stress on your motor, i wouldn't suggest running that high as a daily driver unless you know what you're doing.