Notices

another smog question

Old 12-04-2003, 10:38 AM
SUPER LAUBO
KiMBO's Hubby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another smog question

hey everyone,

i'm going to retry my smog (california, of course ) this weekend and would like some opinions.

i passed the NO and CO sniffer part on Low and High, but failed the HC part by almost two times the allowable. my timing was set to 16 BTDC and my car wasn't running very hot.

i'm pretty confident i can pass (as long as visuals is cool ) but i'm wondering a few things:

1.) i have a HKS filter on the motor now, and last time i took it off in place of a factory air box and reset the ECU. is this advisable?

2.) when i reset my ECU (if advisable) , should i romp on the pedal or cruise gingerly? what would make my car run leaner and burn better at 15 and 25mph during the sniffer test?

3.) since my timing was 16BTDC, could i adjust the timing through the distributor even tho' its an OBDII motor? i thought my ECU automatically adjusts the timing as effecient as possible to prevent knocking?

4.) are there any products you stand by that would clean my injectors, knock away carbon deposits, etc? do you even think its necessary since i got my engine rebuilt not even 3500 miles ago?

5.) i have standar copper NGK plugs and i know my motor (96 GSR with P73-A0 pistons) usually uses platinum tip ones. would this make a huge deal cause i thought copper plugs burn a bit cooler?

thanks for all your input!! :thumbup: