Notices

Whats a good turbo?

Old 12-04-2003, 09:00 AM
shortysbuddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a good turbo?

I have a 98 civic coupe with a B18C1 and I'm thinking about getting turbo but not sure which one. Right now I'm kind of leaning on the greddy turbo kit or the apex kit. Can anyone let me know which would be better for my car.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:32 AM
txhatch
I hate 2003 Noobs.

Unless you need to pass smog, build a custom kit.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:39 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://civic.ibadesigns.com

I run a Garret T3/T04E turbo from a MaxRev kit on that same engine.

I have more done than you probably do, but I put down 284 whp on 12.9 psi.

The greddy and apexi kits are nice, but you will get more out of a custom kit like tx said.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:56 PM
shortysbuddy

would a stage 3 turbo be too crazy for the stock internals?

I'm kinda of new at this turbo stuff. What would I have to do or get to customize a turbo?
Old 12-04-2003, 01:00 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

what is stage 3? how do you measure stages? I think the word 'stage' is an exremely ambiguous term.

Specifications are what determine what will and won't work for your motor.

The word 'stage' is a poor way of describing an item because what is 'stage1' to Apexi, may be 'stage4' to Greddy... see what I'm saying.

A 16g or T3/T4 description would be a better way to gauge what will work (which would fall into the realm of specifications )
Old 12-04-2003, 01:03 PM
shortysbuddy

sorry about that. I was looking at the Drag gen 3 kit (T3/T4). Would I have to change any of my internals for this turbo kit?

I'm just looking for a turbo kit where I can drive the car daily and not for drag racing or something like that. Please help. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:07 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

You could run that up to about 7 or 8 psi. It's a good kit, but I've heard bad things about the wastegate that comes with it (delta gate or T'netics). I believe that the DRAG kit is also a Turbonetics turbo which I've also heard bad things about.

I'd lean more toward a MaxRev, RevHard or Precision setup. They're better kits and come with better parts.

Lemme know if you need pricing.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:18 PM
The G2 Racer
Want Boost!

Precision is nice, too.

Build a custom kit if you got the coin.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:12 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

For sizing a turbo, you need to know your engine's volumeteric efficiency and have a shop do the math. For the most part, you'll want a turbo that spools quickly instead of flowing a large amount of air because that's one of the things that affects the driveability of a car the worst. Usually the larger turbos spool slowly leaving you waiting for the power to come on. Once they spool, it's hello traction problems.

Smaller exhaust housings that can be found in Mitsubishi 13c, 14b and 15g's are probably a lot more streetable on a 1.8L than a T3/T4. When you see "Stage 3" or "Stage 5" somewhere, just remember how you plan to drive your car. It sounds to me like you described a "Stage 1" kit by your driving habits, or intentions with this car. You don't want a T3/T4 or Garrett Ballistics series turbo on a daily driver.

A T3/T4 will sure let you put down a lot of power, but without upgrading your internals, you won't be able to reach that setup's potential. You'll wind up waiting for it to spool so you can NOT use what it's packin'. You're better off with something that has a smaller exhaust housing (If the car's not being built as an all-out drag queen). heh.

For 6-8 PSI, a 14b, 15g or Garrett T-25 are more than enough. A 13c will spool when you blip the gas from idle. A 14b can push 18 PSI and flow around 450cfm if it's ported properly. The 15g is a better midrange flow turbo. It's not good for higher pressures (abouve 14 PSI), but you really don't want anything near that for a OEM internaled Honda setup. The T-25 won't offer the high-end flow of the Mitsubishi turbos, but it will spool a lot faster. Like 500 RPMs faster, and flow nearly as much. The advantage of a quick spool is that the power comes on down low in the powerband, allowing you to use more of the RPM range with boost. Less laggy.

You won't find a 14b, or T-25 in a turbo kit. Those are "junkyard" turbos. The Greddy kit comes with a 15g and it's a good all-around performer for Hondas. Worthless on a Mitsubishi. What can I say? They're very different engines. What works for one doesn't always work for the other.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:18 PM
shortysbuddy

so I guess drag is out of the qestion. Does anyone know much about the apex ax turbo kit? what does the turbo kit include and etc.