Notices

Help with clutch master/slave cylinder

Old 12-03-2003, 05:48 PM
ChizzleC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with clutch master/slave cylinder

So I was driving to my friends house and my gs-r was shifting a little funny. I get stopped at a light and sit in neutral. The light goes green and I tried to put it into 1st and it wouldnt go, so i tried 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, reverse. I had to call my dad : to come up there. I turned the car off, put it into first, and turned the car on, with the brakes applied and the clutch all the way in, the car feels like its trying to go. Anyway, I get the car home and we bring it to the shop. I already had told my dad it was probably the slave cylinder and he just disregarded me, thinking I have an adjustable clutch. The shop tells us its either the clutch master or the slave cylinder.
There was no visible leakage from either, and they say that it is a "hit and miss" fix. It's around 250 for one to be replaced, and 400 for both.(inc. labor) Is there any way to tell which one it is?? The guy said he would personally do the clutch master first, but I thought he may just be saying the opposite to rip us off.[paranoid]

Sorry for the length, but any help is much appreciated.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:09 PM
Daniel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's recommended to replace both at the same time if one or the other is replaced. Check in the footwell against the firewall. If you see brake fluid leaking down, it's the clutch master cylinder. If not, unbolt the two 8mm bolts on the bottom of the clave cylinder and remove it with brake line still attached. If the little push rod slides completely out (like mine did), this could indicate broken seal and brake fluid leak. Definitely replace both either way.