Notices

I need a few ideas for the sol!!!

Old 12-03-2003, 08:42 AM
94OfTheSun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a few ideas for the sol!!!

I'm getting a 94 del sol VTEC soon, and I just wanted some input on the best way to start putting some mods in it. it has 150k on it so i dont want to ruin the engine or trans. before her time, so if ya have any ideas let me know.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:57 AM
DelSolSIinMD
Le Grand Illusion

Intake, header, exhaust.... suspension. At 150k the stock suspension will be pretty old anyway.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:09 AM
Dr. Isotope

Replace everything. Oil, coolant, belts, fuel/oil/air filters, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, brake pads-- basically any "wear" part you can think of. I knew the guy I got my Sol from, and it was still trying to fall apart. Before you go out buying add-ons, make sure all the stuff that's already there works. You'll spend a ocuple hundred bucks there... easily.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Soltaker
I'm a bad, bad man.

First off....welcome to the forum

I would start with suspension. The Skunk2 / Tokico Adjustable combo works really good for me. You could also get the upper and lower tie bars....make that thing handle like it is on rails.

Then I would add to that your basics like intake/header/exhaust, and you will have a great handling car with a little more kick in the pants

BTW.....Rochester is not the crotch of the nation. Have you ever been to Atlanta?
Old 12-03-2003, 01:25 PM
tib
ex-soler

welcome!

im in a similar situation as you, and from what information i have received i would say make sure your car is running well first, all the maintenance has been taken care of and everything is running smooth, then, unless your aiming towards forced induction, (i presume you arent) i would work on a basic intake/header/exaust combo and suspention. check out the "for sale" forum here every now and then, sometimes you can find a good deal from another member.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:00 PM
sxecrow
Banned

Take some time to get used to the car before you start modding it out. You might regret not waiting and doing research into things before you spend the money for studid stuff. I do. As stated before, change all the basic stuff like oil, plugs, wires, pads. General maintainance should always be first.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:04 PM
Falkon
still alive

Also, before you buy it, drive it in the rain or at least get him to wash the car while you're there. Trust me, this may be a deciding factor.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:29 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

Originally posted by Falkon
Also, before you buy it, drive it in the rain or at least get him to wash the car while you're there. Trust me, this may be a deciding factor.
I fon't get it... You mean to check the seals? Never thought of it. I always just look for water marks on the seats and carpet.

Another MN guy! Welcome aboard man! if you ever have time on the weekends and need some pointers, all we do is work on cars. Hit me up!
Old 12-03-2003, 10:14 PM
DelSolSIinMD
Le Grand Illusion

I'd like to change my advice and also elect for basic maintenance. I had assumed that would already be done. Welcome to HAN, though! Tons of Sol info here
Old 12-04-2003, 01:25 AM
Soltaker
I'm a bad, bad man.

I am standing by my thoughts! He should be able to tell wheather the basics were kept up before he gives the previous owner a dime If it looks in rough shape, keep shopping.