Notices

My car got the chillz today !

Old 12-03-2003, 07:17 AM
honura
Seni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car got the chillz today !

I went to start my car this morning and ohh man what a F**CKING scare I had . The powersteering was shot ! , The heat was shot ! and the motor was over heating . I was so pissed . But it just so happends that I have cheap powersteering fluid so it froze up with the weather and so did "The water" I have in instead of AntiFreeze . It took the car about ½ to heat up all the water in the line . Thanks god it was nothing big just fluid . Well for all you people out there that use cheap shit " DON'T " . It will bit you in the ass sooner or later . Also If you have water in your system cause of the summer take a drive to the shop and flush it . Get $10 and fill it up with Antifreeze . Worth it trust me . Hope you people see this and it reminds you if you have water or some cheap fluids in your ride . Goodluck !
Old 12-03-2003, 09:39 AM
firebane

You should always run at least 50/50 when it comes to your rad.. 50% water 50% rad juice. Prestone makes a pre-mixed bottle now and its real simple.. just pour in and its ready :P
Old 12-03-2003, 02:15 PM
EJcivic02
I talk Before I think

i may be wrong here, but if you just started up your car, why would it matter if theres just water in the radiator or in the lines? doesnt the radiator start pumping and functioning when the car gets to a certain temp? a buddy of mine told me this when we were working on my turbo....
Old 12-03-2003, 04:42 PM
jinx-mitchell
The Comic Guy

Frozen fluids inside of the motor = bad stuff. Water expands when it freezes and could cause alot of damage if you aren't very lucky like Honura here...
Old 12-03-2003, 06:19 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Originally posted by EJcivic02
i may be wrong here, but if you just started up your car, why would it matter if theres just water in the radiator or in the lines? doesnt the radiator start pumping and functioning when the car gets to a certain temp? a buddy of mine told me this when we were working on my turbo....
There's a thermostat near the block on one of the radiator hoses that opens and closes based on tempurature. When the engine's cold, it closes (but not all the way or your water pump would just churn) to let the engine warm up quickly and gradually opens as engine tempurature rises, allowing more coolant to flow and keeping the engine tempurature in check. Sometimes the thermostat and fail and remain shut all the time and your car will overheat.

You also don't want to run pure 100% coolant, you want a 50/50 water/coolant mix. The water is what absorbs the heat and has a boiling point of 212F degrees. The antifreeze/coolant allows the water to drop below 32F degrees without freezing (and expanding, bad stuff) and contains additives that keep the water from rusting your coolant system from the inside. Those additives wear out though, so you need to change your coolant at least every 2-3 years (I usually do it once every summer, it costs a few dollars). If you have pets, don't let them near antifreeze (or windshield washer fluid, basically the same stuff), it smells and tastes sweet, but even a small amount will kill them.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:19 PM
honura
Seni

Yep . All I could think about is I hope I did not bust something ! I just did my driver side lower balljoint . All last week I felt my frontend a little weak meaning loose . So I went to tighted up everything and my drivers side lower ball joint was no good it would not let me screw in the nut . The nut would turn with everything else . So me like a retard said ohh let me use the air gun and have someone put presure on the joint and I will be able to get it tight . "WORST THING YOU COULD DO ! " The nut went in but got stripped not to bad so I hooked up the pin and started on my way to pick up a friend then to go to pepboys to get the joint " Pepboys" LOL I know it was on a sunday I had no where else to go . anyways I jump on the highway going about 85-90 and everything was cool I get to my friends house and Im waiting for him . Someone asked my to move up a little so they can get out as I moved up the lower balljoint poped out . Thanks god it did not happen on the highway ! Now Not only did I need a balljoint . I needed a balljoint , driverside axel , and fender . So all that got me kinda hurt for cash . I got a wife , 2 kids , house , car , bills shit is hard last thing I needed was to replace something else lol ! Thanks for listening
Old 12-03-2003, 07:24 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: My car got the chillz today !

Originally posted by honura
Well for all you people out there that use cheap shit " DON'T " . It will bit you in the ass sooner or later.
I wish more people would realize that. It goes for everything, Cliche, yes, but it's true.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 12-03-2003, 07:27 PM
honura
Seni

Yeah man ! Everyday life . But for those who can not afford it LIKE ME ! Just do the best you can go to your nearest gas station and have a friend talk to the workes and just start running with 2-3 bottles lol !
Old 12-03-2003, 07:35 PM
Wharbone

Originally posted by honura
Yep . All I could think about is I hope I did not bust something ! I just did my driver side lower balljoint . All last week I felt my frontend a little weak meaning loose . So I went to tighted up everything and my drivers side lower ball joint was no good it would not let me screw in the nut . The nut would turn with everything else . So me like a retard said ohh let me use the air gun and have someone put presure on the joint and I will be able to get it tight . "WORST THING YOU COULD DO ! " The nut went in but got stripped not to bad so I hooked up the pin and started on my way to pick up a friend then to go to pepboys to get the joint " Pepboys" LOL I know it was on a sunday I had no where else to go . anyways I jump on the highway going about 85-90 and everything was cool I get to my friends house and Im waiting for him . Someone asked my to move up a little so they can get out as I moved up the lower balljoint poped out . Thanks god it did not happen on the highway ! Now Not only did I need a balljoint . I needed a balljoint , driverside axel , and fender . So all that got me kinda hurt for cash . I got a wife , 2 kids , house , car , bills shit is hard last thing I needed was to replace something else lol ! Thanks for listening
Ouch! hope you get it fixed.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:40 PM
honura
Seni

Originally posted by Wharbone
Ouch! hope you get it fixed.
It is fixed Thank God !