Notices
Drag Strip From the staging lanes to the finish line, this is the spot for on-track drag racing discussion.

Wrx Sti Vs Cobra

Old 12-02-2003, 06:24 PM
Fast-Ford
Loves Nascar, NHRA & SCCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrx Sti Vs Cobra

This didn't happen on the street but it's a kill story of sorts.

If you read Hot-Rod Magazine then you will see that this month the two cars went off head to head. While the 1/4 mile times are the same (well .01 diference), the WRX was like 1.7 secs faster in the road course. The WRX STI costs less than the Cobra so I guess that makes it the best buy in that range. So I guess after 30 years the competition finaly cought the Foxbody.......sort of....

What is the bright side to this story is that the Cobra long block is a far, far, and I will say again "FAR" more capable engine once you start unleashing the power. SHM Motorsports in Ontario (the leading 4.6 power builders) have put the cobra powerplant in the 6's. So if you're looking to build a hot rod, the WRX won't come close to matching the potential of the Cobra engine.

Anyway, as it stands the WRX delivers the goods. The new Cobra is a long way off but will most likely be a brute when it arrives.....as well as the Shelby version.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:26 PM
Fast-Ford
Loves Nascar, NHRA & SCCA

Default Re: Wrx Sti Vs Cobra

Sorry for the double post.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:57 PM
DelSolSIinMD
Le Grand Illusion

I like the ring that "Shelby version" has....
Old 12-02-2003, 09:16 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw that on Hot Rod TV last night... I was pretty amused of how those muscle car guys described the STi.

They said something along the lines of "This is the muscle car of this generation"
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 12-02-2003, 10:22 PM
TraviZ

word is the camaro makes its 5th gen debute in 2007

i can only cross my fingers and wait patiently
Old 12-03-2003, 08:51 AM
TeHJuSTiN
NAM #0001

I thought the LS1 f-bodies were the 5th gen.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:50 AM
2 Cudas

I just read that article in HOTROD, they cant drive for shit! Their best run in the cobra was 13.3 @ 109 mph. No Offense but I have friends with 03 cobras who arent the greastest drivers run 12.8's BONE STOCK. I know because I raced them at E town and I work on their cars.

LAtely I hate HOT Rod Magazine
Old 12-03-2003, 10:34 AM
TraviZ

TeHJuSTiN, all camaros from 93+ are 4th gens
Old 12-03-2003, 10:49 AM
Diablo

lmao, that is why i try not to quote magizines or anything of the like. I have parsonally witnessed the cobras run 12.9's and have heard about them runnin 12.6's(i would look for proof but i dont feel like it, sry). Also at the track ive never seen an STI run a 13.3 the lowest ive seen them run is a 13.6 to get them to 13.3 i woudl think there would have to be some serious clutch abuse
goin on and not many people are willin to do that to there cars. I think that there is some serious favoritism goin on in that magizine. They used to be an all muscle car magizine and that they realize where the money is they are goin towards a ricer magizine.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:22 AM
FMOS Racing
Still Plays With Trucks

I can certainly see the new Cobra falling down on the road course. It's a real porker and thanks to the cast iron block it's now even more nose-heavy than before. It also doesn't have the brakes the STi does - those things are HUGE.

You know, I was sitting here thinking that it was a travesty to call a STi a "muscle car," but it does fit the formula in some ways. Muscle cars were big-engined versions of normal, mid-sized grocery getters. Except for the mid-sized thing, it's close!