Notices

Exhaust for 95 GS-R : advice please?

Old 12-02-2003, 11:38 AM
Erilar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust for 95 GS-R : advice please?

Hi folks. Newbie question here that you've all probably heard 200 times, but I'm looking for specific answers not satisfied by a search.

I have a stock '95 GS-R with about 90K mi on it. I need to replace the stock muffler (annoying rattling hole in it) and maybe the mid-pipe. Since I already have to get a muffler, I'm debating about sinking some extra cash into it and putting on a higher-performance exhaust.

I'm ONLY interested in performance. I'm NOT interested in improving the looks or sound of the car. Just enjoy driving my GS-R. As a matter of fact, I'd rather it isn't the loudest or most conspicuous ride in the neighborhood (unless it gets me 20 BHP)

Given my goal of performance, would the extra cash be better spent on the muffler upgrade or a nice cold air intake (I'm looking at AEM)?

Would just the cat-back muffler upgrade do me any good, or would I need to upgrade the header also to make a noticable power difference?

If the muffler is the best choice and will actually give me some noticable power improvement, any advice on brands (from those who've actually done this to their rides!)?

I see DNX catalogs at a lot of the parts shops, but I don't see too much info on DNX on the net. What other brands? Greddy seems to be well thought of on the net.

Thanks in advance,
Erilar
Old 12-02-2003, 12:02 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Pretty much all cat back exhausts regardless of look or sound will give you the same increase in hp which is to say about 5. That means that it's mostly a subjective choice based on what kind of look you're going for, how loud you want it to be and what material you want it to be made out of.

Personally I want something that is full stainless steel (both the pipes and the muffler), not too aggressive looking, and a bit louder than stock but not annoyingly so. Just enough to let you know it's not stock. The best exhaust that satisfies these requirements for me is the Tanabe Super Hyper Medallion. If I wanted something a bit less conspicuos I would get the RS*R Exmag but it's just a bit too quiet for my tastes. Also the DC Sports cat back is nice but I like the Tanabe SHM more.

Another really popular (and reasonably quiet) exhaust is the A'PEXi World Sport but I'm not so much a fan of it because it has pipes that are not made out of stainless steel.

So if I was in your position I'd probably get the RS*R, unless you want a little more twang to the sound and then I'd get the Tanabe SHM.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:40 PM
Erilar

Thanks. Any comment regarding whether the best starting point would be a CAI or cat-back exhaust?

So, if a cat-back gives about 5 HP, what would the gain be for the cat-back and a good header - roughly 15? For reference, my stock GS-R is supposed to be about 170 HP.

Thanks,
Erilar
Old 12-02-2003, 02:05 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

A typical GSR with intake, header and exhaust will put out about 10-15 hp more than stock. The gains from adding mods are not cumulative. So while a header can add up to 10 hp and an exhaust about 5, you do not get a total of 15 automatically.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:54 PM
riCeEaTer34

MrFattyboy would u recommend a Apexi N1 exhaust.. with aem intakes and 4-1 dc headers..... if No tell me y and yes tell me if the exhaust is pretty loud with vtec kuz i heard vtec kicks in when it has exhaust.. its pretty loud right or am i wrong?
I also know apexi n1 has a straight pipe!! Y doesnt anyone really like apexi n1 and likes the tanube medallion or Greddy Evo
Old 12-02-2003, 02:59 PM
90TGP

I would suggest a 4-2-1 header. With a 4-1, you'll loose some low-end torque while gaining some high-end horsepower. I'd go with the 4-2-1 because you gain a little torque and a little horsepower.

Any exhaust will make VTEC sound louder because of the cam change. Can't change that.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:16 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

The A'PEXi N1 is a bit loud for my tastes but if you don't mind a loud exhaust it doesn't sound "bad," just loud.

The 4-2-1 vs 4-1 thing is pretty subjective, and really a 4-1 doesn't lose much if anything down low. The 4-1 flows better and it makes more power.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:27 PM
RB
snitches get stitches

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greddy SP
Apexi WS
Comptech
DC Sports
RSR exmag

my recommendations
Old 12-02-2003, 05:22 PM
SUPER LAUBO
KiMBO's Hubby

i'd go with the Tanabe Hyper Medalion or the RSR...

personally, i'd go with the RSR because its so dang quiet.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:53 PM
riCeEaTer34

Mr fat booty, so ur saying that the Apexi n1 is way louder than the medallion. I heard its nice and loud but not loud as the medallion. the Apexi is not ricey and not annoying like the medallion right and it gains alot of hp right or am i wrong?

wut about medallion how much hp does it gain?