Notices

Relocating battery?

Old 12-02-2003, 09:31 AM
Camride

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocating battery?

Is it difficult to relocate the battery to the trunk? I mostly want to do it to make more room for my CAI and clean up the engine bay a little. I have a friend that's gonna get the wire for me(I think 1 ga) so what I need is a good location to put it in the trunk. Anyone done this and have pics of it? I can't seem to find a very good spot to put it in the trunk? Any help would be appriciated, or I'm going in the dark on this one
Old 12-02-2003, 09:38 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

buy a battery relocation kit
Old 12-02-2003, 11:06 AM
Camride

Originally posted by Snoopy
buy a battery relocation kit
Wow, that was insightful.

I already have the cable, I don't need to buy a kit. All I need is the battery tray/hold down and a place to mount it.

Has anyone done this?
Old 12-02-2003, 11:14 AM
illusion

What do you need "More room for you CAI"? All you need is a really long ground and positive because you'll need to run a ground to the engine block to keep noise out of your system, the best bet is to just run some two gauge from the battery to the stock connectors, You'll get some serious IR drop for cables that long so big gauge is necessary. Don't be surprised if you induce a lot of noise in your stereo. It's pretty easy, a battery relocation kit is the easiest, they usually come with wires with one end that looks like a battery post so you can just tighten the old clamps to it. Then the battery tray and some bolts, you'll need to find a place to drill. If you put it in your trunk, I highly suggest dropping your tank before you start drilling. I had the battery in my prelude in back, but it was a 13lb race battery. If you don't have anything other than looks to gain moving it, why not just leave it alone?
Old 12-02-2003, 12:46 PM
Camride

Well if it's gonna be a PITA I'm not going to bother. I thought it was a fairly simple thing but I've never done it before, that's why I'm asking It looks like it's more trouble than it's worth, so I'll probably just leave it alone.

As far as the "more room for the CAI" comment, it's because I made my own CAI and the filter is a little on the huge side. I figured if I could move the battery out of the way it would allow more/better airflow to the filter since it's pretty much pinned between the hood and the battery
Old 12-02-2003, 01:01 PM
mrbrace
Goldenchild

Originally posted by Camride
As far as the "more room for the CAI" comment, it's because I made my own CAI and the filter is a little on the huge side. I figured if I could move the battery out of the way it would allow more/better airflow to the filter since it's pretty much pinned between the hood and the battery
Do you have any pics of your custom intake...think it would be interesting to see.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:28 PM
hype8912
Dr. Klaw

You have the wire, but you still need to buy the case that battery sits in. I mean you have to buy the sealed one that has the small vent line you run to the outside. Car batteries emit hydrogen gas periodically. This is very dangerous being in the trunk. Just check out the battery relocation kits and see what you might need.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:58 AM
Camride

Originally posted by mrbrace
Do you have any pics of your custom intake...think it would be interesting to see.
Well, it's not that pretty yet I haven't finished painting it or anything, I just fitted it up and put it on. It's just PVC tubing with a K&N on the end, nothing really that special.

And yeah, I realised I would need to get a sealed box for it, not safe at all to have a open battery sitting in the trunk