Notices

EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads

Old 12-02-2003, 05:05 AM
SleepinTR1
Just an average guy...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads

Question. How long should I expect these to last? I mean, I know I can pay to have 'em checked and go with the mech's suggestions (duh...) but I'd like to know some of your opinions

Facts: 2000 Accord Coupe LX 5spd, daily driven, wannabe racer (this means I drive rather aggressively in traffic like 80% of the time and tend to have to break hard at like 75mph often but not like everyday), EBC slotted/drilled rotors and Green Stuff pads, I commute through Washington, DC (city traffic, so there is a lot of stop and go between traffic and traffic lights).

The issue I'm having right now is that I get an "uncomfortable" vibration (not obnoxious now...) braking to say a red light from speeds of around 60mph. I know nothing about brakes, but I know that these pads were nice and green when they were first put on, but now they're basically black. That's all I know. Can anyone school me?h:
Old 12-02-2003, 05:12 AM
skabone69

Default Re: EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads

Originally posted by SleepinTR1
Question. How long should I expect these to last? I mean, I know I can pay to have 'em checked and go with the mech's suggestions (duh...) but I'd like to know some of your opinions

Facts: 2000 Accord Coupe LX 5spd, daily driven, wannabe racer (this means I drive rather aggressively in traffic like 80% of the time and tend to have to break hard at like 75mph often but not like everyday), EBC slotted/drilled rotors and Green Stuff pads, I commute through Washington, DC (city traffic, so there is a lot of stop and go between traffic and traffic lights).

The issue I'm having right now is that I get an "uncomfortable" vibration (not obnoxious now...) braking to say a red light from speeds of around 60mph. I know nothing about brakes, but I know that these pads were nice and green when they were first put on, but now they're basically black. That's all I know. Can anyone school me?h:
you might have warped rotors, and as for wear on your pads...the harder you drive the quicker the life of the pads. I do know that slotted/drilled rotors have a tendency to warp pretty quickly especially under hard driving. they also tend to eat through break pads pretty quick. how long have you had the rotors, and pads on for?
Old 12-02-2003, 05:21 AM
SleepinTR1
Just an average guy...

That's interesting that you say that slotted rotors warp easier under hard driving - I actually changed to that setup from stock to AVOID that warping problem. I was tired of the stock rotors warping and was advised that slotted would help. Hey, they ARE supposed to be an "upgrade", right? I mean, otherwise why are they used in Auto-x?

I was aware that the pads would degrade faster however as a matter of just common sense (the grooves would scrape the pad material more and thus wear down the pad faster). I'm just trying to figure out what a good time frame would be.

I've had these on since like early summer 2003 (so, like 6 months). I got the pads and rotors at the same time...

I mean, it's not like I auto-x or anything. I just have a bit of a heavy foot and enjoy "driving". Don't get me wrong - I'm not slammin' on brakes like every day or nothing, but I am an aggresive driver and have to brake accordingly.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:27 AM
SleepinTR1
Just an average guy...

I should say, also, that it's an "uncomfortable" (not obnoxious) vibration/grind/increasing "growl" type sound that increases if I hold all the way to a complete stop. But it's more of the grind/growl thing than the vibrating. The vibration can't be ignored in describing it though.

I'm about to order more green pads, and I just wanted to be sure that I am not wasting my time in doing so...
Old 12-02-2003, 05:36 AM
skabone69

That's interesting that you say that slotted rotors warp easier under hard driving - I actually changed to that setup from stock to AVOID that warping problem. I was tired of the stock rotors warping and was advised that slotted would help. Hey, they ARE supposed to be an "upgrade", right? I mean, otherwise why are they used in Auto-x?

I was aware that the pads would degrade faster however as a matter of just common sense (the grooves would scrape the pad material more and thus wear down the pad faster). I'm just trying to figure out what a good time frame would be.

I've had these on since like early summer 2003 (so, like 6 months). I got the pads and rotors at the same time...

I mean, it's not like I auto-x or anything. I just have a bit of a heavy foot and enjoy "driving". Don't get me wrong - I'm not slammin' on brakes like every day or nothing, but I am an aggresive driver and have to brake accordingly.
well when you think about it, the slotted/drilled rotor is weaker(in terms of keeping its form) cause there is less material. If you heat up the rotor, becaue of the holls and slots over time it won't be able to hold its form as well as an OEM style rotor. its definately an upgrade, but the down side is the quicker warping. Of course in auto cross they subject their car to extreem driving conditions and they beat the crap out of their cars and need the benifits that come with those rotors. a stock rotor should last longer(depends on the driver). I just got brembo blanks, and AEM pads about 5 months ago, and its got plenty of stopping power to be aggressive every now and then with no warping. for an every day driver there is no real need to get drilled/slotted unless you do auto cross on the weekend. if your rotors are warpped, you can't turn them down like I can with my brembo blanks. OEM style rotors are more cost effective in the long run and they are still acceptable in terms of performance.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:29 AM
fjm1
G35

Originally posted by skabone69
I just got brembo blanks, and AEM pads about 5 months ago, and its got plenty of stopping power to be aggressive every now and then with no warping. for an every day driver there is no real need to get drilled/slotted unless you do auto cross on the weekend.
:werd:

Greenstuff wear out quick, especially if you put them up front. I used to put them on the back of my Integra with Redstuff up front. This allowed the rears to get a little more initial bite upon heavy braking. It was for autocross though.

When I switched to Brembo rotors and OEM pads up front I now have a more reliable setup that will last longer than a year. I haven't noticed any degredation of performance and got rid of alot of squeaking and dust.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:46 AM
SleepinTR1
Just an average guy...

Aight, so you are sayin' that I should switch back to my stock rotors or buy Brembo blanks and use ceramic pads instead of the OEM pads?
Old 12-02-2003, 07:02 AM
skabone69

Aight, so you are sayin' that I should switch back to my stock rotors or buy Brembo blanks and use ceramic pads instead of the OEM pads?
well brembo blanks are an OEM replacement so they are basically the same, and I would go back to the stock style rotors. OEM or Brembo replacements will work well. you should be able to pick them up for a little under $40/rotor on www.groupbuycenter.com or www.nopi.com
there was a good goup buy a little while ago on brembo blank rotors and axis pads.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:09 AM
SleepinTR1
Just an average guy...

What about the pads? Should I get the green stuff again? I gotta say, I'm a lil P.O. about the rotors though. Wasted that dough...
Old 12-02-2003, 11:32 AM
polakatl

that sux.. I was considering buying the ebc rotors and green stuff. I thought they would be great since they are not drilled but have dimples and slots. So basically there are no holes going through the entire rotor.