Notices

smells like gas

Old 12-01-2003, 06:18 PM
barbied

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smells like gas

Help.
My 89 Accord smells like gas fumes (from the engine) while running, and when I shut it off the oder lingers for a long time.
I changed the plugs thinking that since they were old that might have something to do with it.
Any ideas???
Old 12-01-2003, 07:01 PM
Oxygen795

probably got a leak some where
Old 12-01-2003, 07:12 PM
chambl

When you first get into the car, do you already smell the gas?

I've read about a case where the top of the gas tank was so rusted that gas was splashing out and was getting absorbed by the seat.

I'm not saying that this is what is happening to you, but it's just something that has happened to someone out there...
Old 12-03-2003, 10:01 AM
spiderman64

Default gas cap

I had this problem and it turned out I hadn't replaced the gas cap. If your check engine light is on too, then this is probably the problem.

Cheers!
Old 12-03-2003, 01:59 PM
b12uceHuy
Jizz Maste12

Take a lighter and use it as a light to look for the leak in your engine bay. HAHAHAHA JK! Go the auto store and ask them if they have some special Dye additive to put into the gas. When you shine a Black Light into the engine bay or anywhere under the car, the dye will be lite up by the black light. Then you will be able to find your leak.

DONT DO the Lighter thing*
Old 12-03-2003, 03:16 PM
barbied

I open the hood after I shut the car off, and I see bubbling at the bottom of 2 of the injectors where the metal connects to the manifold(?) (On the backof the area where the spark plugs are.)
Does this mean my injectors are leaking?
Old 12-03-2003, 03:18 PM
barbied

Oh, and my check engine light is also on, but my gas cap is in place!
Old 12-04-2003, 08:05 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You need new seals for the injectors. Hopefully the injectors themselves aren't leaking. The seals are pretty easy & cheap.

In '89 there wasn't OBD-2 so it's not about your gas cap. I suppose even in '89 you can pull fault codes from the ECM?? Hope someone knows the details for that year. Maybe you peel back the carpet & watch a blinking LED on your ECM.

On newer cars theres a hundred things that can set off your CEL, but the owner's manual seems to say that the gas cap is the only one that mere mortal users can understand.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:21 PM
barbied

Any instructions for replacing? I would like to try to do it tomorrow
when its daylight out.
Thanks for all this help.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:25 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have an '89 so maybe someone can be more specific...

Generally the injectors are held in place by the fuel rail, which is bolted to the intake manofold. First, disconnect the battery so you don't have a fire. Release any pressure in the fuel system by opening a line at your filter or something. You'll want a bunch of rags to catch the fuel that spills. Unplug the injectors, unbolt the fuel rail, lift it away from the manifold. The injectors may stay in the manifold or they'll come out with the rail. Either way, take them out completely.

The seals are like little O-rings at both ends of each injector. Get new ones all around. Don't get them at the hardware store because they have to be compatible with gasoline and the temperature. The old ones will probably be hard & brittle. Then put it all back together.