Notices

New Honda civic owner... Looking for brief overviews and opinions

Old 11-28-2003, 08:37 PM
honda1998civic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Honda civic owner... Looking for brief overviews and opinions

hi,

i just recently purchased a 1998 honda civic lx 1.6 l. I would like some information on what kind of car i have here.... How reliable is it? How much abuse do they handle? What modifications would any of you experienced honda owners recommend me doing to this car? Should i spend money on this oem engine or should i save cash and use it toward newer engine? Also when i try to shift into first of reverse my gear seems as if it doesnt go in all the way. It sorta stops in the middle and then i have to release clutch and press it again then it takes it. When it doesnt take if fully it will grind when i try to give it gas.. What could be the cause of this? Someone mentioned to me that it could be my clutch has just been replaced.... IM not sure as i just bought this car.. Please give me any opinions and feedback that you may have. thanks
Old 11-28-2003, 08:46 PM
93HybridCX
Beast from the East

1. Very reliable
2. alot if you take care of it
3. Buy rims, Lower it, do suspention work (strut bars, tie bar,ect.)
4. I would swap it with a B-series
5.You need a new clutch

Oh and welcome to HAN
:thumbup:
Old 11-28-2003, 08:53 PM
honda1998civic

Thanks for the welcome and the information..... Well... my car is a used one with some after market parts already on it. mainly just exterior was modified.. It has a body kit, z 3 fender inserts, racing hood, projector lights, im just getting some euro tail lights in like a week.. MB motorine wheels, kumho tires, new paint job, air intake, and other little add - ons.. Its a nice car... Just have to know what im dealing with here....Im new with honda's..
Old 11-28-2003, 09:00 PM
93HybridCX
Beast from the East

Originally posted by honda1998civic
Thanks for the welcome and the information..... Well... my car is a used one with some after market parts already on it. mainly just exterior was modified.. It has a body kit, z 3 fender inserts, racing hood, projector lights, im just getting some euro tail lights in like a week.. MB motorine wheels, kumho tires, new paint job, air intake, and other little add - ons.. Its a nice car... Just have to know what im dealing with here....Im new with honda's..
:ugh: Most of us here like to keep our cars clean and simple (no body kits, Z3 fenders, altezza lights, or any other ricey stuff) but to each his own, as long as you like it. Stick around here for a few months and you will learn alot.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:04 PM
zeroseven

hnoes:

I would keep the stock tails or go with red/clears. How much did you pay for the car?
Old 11-28-2003, 09:47 PM
honda1998civic

i paid $5,500 for car.... Its valued over $7,000 without all of the modifications already on it....It was originally selling for $7,000...
Old 11-28-2003, 10:00 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by honda1998civic
Its valued over $7,000 without all of the modifications already on it...
Says who? Mods don't add value to a car, it actually tends to drop the price unless it is seriously built.

$5.5k is a good price though, assuming it has around 100k or less miles and is in otherwise excellent condition.

Welcome to the board, just be prepared to take some rough comments about your body work. As mentioned before, the kind of people that hang around here don't take to well to body kits, wild paint and funky taillights.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:07 PM
93HybridCX
Beast from the East

Originally posted by Kai

As mentioned before, the kind of people that hang around here don't take to well to wild paint.
does that mean me
Old 11-28-2003, 10:12 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

I had to throw it in there.

I'm more talking about the hyper-uber-flourescent lime-green pearl-metallic-chameleon with glitter types. With stock color engine bays and door jambs. :chuckles:
Old 11-28-2003, 10:15 PM
zeroseven

I hope by "racing hood" he has carbon fiber and not cowl.