Notices

good and bad about cams

Old 07-23-2002, 08:18 PM
pomansouth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good and bad about cams

list all of the good and bad things about cams in general like will it shorten the engines life and that sort of thing
Old 07-23-2002, 09:00 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

good:
more power

bad:
bumpy idle
requires tuning on dyno for max power
effects fuel economy

some of the things depend on the cam your getting. it depends on the cam on whether or not you'll need new springs, retainers, etc. and how high you'll be revving. one thing to consider is where you want the power. low-end, mid-range, high-end, or throughout the entire rev range.

Last edited by Mo; 07-23-2002 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:36 AM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Snoopy
[B]good:
more power

bad:
bumpy idle
requires tuning on dyno for max power
effects fuel economy

What kind of power gains do you want? Snoopy pretty much summed everything up...although with most aggressive aftermarket cams they require a bit more care than the factory vtec cams (frequent valve adjustment, etc.) Also in general the more aggressive cams make power up high, so not only do you need to rev the piss out of your motor but you also need to spend more money on building it to run at those rpms. Running at higher rpms will also shorten the engine life...but this is a risk all us honda-powered drivers take

Shingo
Old 07-24-2002, 07:56 PM
pomansouth

well i do plan on either low compression turbo or high compression all motor non vtec and run 13's by the time i am done with it (10 years down the road) the only thing i am worried about with turbo is detonation or how ever you spell it. i know that it is a common thing with turbo right?? and i dont know anyone around here with a dyno so ill have to find someone and i got alot of work to do but i like the idea of all motor just b/c i can **** wit people who have s/c and turbos and eat em alive wit my cute lil baby
Old 07-24-2002, 08:20 PM
evo119
GO GIANTS!

With any heavily modded ride....TUNING is the most important. Whether it be all motor or turbo. Running a dyno is crucial. Running a turbo is of course cheaper but more delicate to tune. All motor will be expensive to be able to hang with a turbo. However, both routes do shorten you engine life. IMO I like all motor for the same reason you like it....it gives me more satisfaction knowing i beat a turboed car.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:29 PM
Etylorcen
Turbo Mafia Soldier

Originally posted by pomansouth
well i do plan on either low compression turbo or high compression all motor non vtec and run 13's by the time i am done with it (10 years down the road) the only thing i am worried about with turbo is detonation or how ever you spell it. i know that it is a common thing with turbo right?? and i dont know anyone around here with a dyno so ill have to find someone and i got alot of work to do but i like the idea of all motor just b/c i can **** wit people who have s/c and turbos and eat em alive wit my cute lil baby
All motor b18b you're not going to be eating any FI cars honestly. With good tuning you should never have detonation. Even with the bolt on turbo kits detonation can be avoided with premium gas, an intercooler, dont boost hard on steep uphills, and dont top speed your car. The main reason I hear about people blowing their motors is either improper install, raising the boost too high "for fun" (like a blown motor is really fun), or boost creep from a bad wastegate like a deltagate. B18b loves boost. Just not meant for an all motor set up.