Notices

Turbo without intercooler....YES ????

Old 07-23-2002, 06:21 AM
eclipse spanker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo without intercooler....YES ????

OK my car has 156,000, so I'm not going to go overboard with my turbo setup..I plan on just using a setup from a GS-T (T25) at aroun 5-6 lbs boost....my question, DO I NEED AN INTERCOOLER ??????? or can I just run a T25 at 5 - 6 lbs boost without intercooling, and not have it do damage to my engine ? How much hp can I expect running 5-6 lbs of boost ??? (my 92 LS is 142 hp stock)....????
Old 07-23-2002, 06:28 AM
qtiger

You can run without an intercooler, but you will see higher intake temps, even at that level of boost.
Old 07-23-2002, 08:26 AM
newgsrdriver

You could do that...but honestly, Im not beaing mean or anything, but if youre unsure of whether or not to use an IC, how are you going to put together this T25 kit? Ill tell you right now, its not going to be a walk in the park...
Old 07-23-2002, 08:33 AM
white lightnin

I predict blown engine in your future. Do some tests before you boost w/ that many miles.
Old 07-23-2002, 08:49 AM
slickboy
ECHC junkee

Originally posted by white lightnin
I predict blown engine in your future. Do some tests before you boost w/ that many miles.
He knows that...haha...or at least I hope so...I talked to him about it yesterday. I stressed many crucial points.
Old 07-23-2002, 09:27 AM
eclipse spanker

LOL.......yeah compression and leakdown tests are coming on Thursday.......but I keep asking people about the importance of an intercooler , and the unanimous response is pretty much that it depends on how many lbs of boost. The reason why Im looking to run 5-6 lbs without an intercooler, is because my teg is getting up there in mileage, so I know sooner or later i will replace it, or things will start going wrong (whichever happens first). So I would rather have a setup that doesnt really cost toooo much , so that when I get the new car, then I'll spend money on a nice setup. So Can we all agree that 5-6 lbs without an intercooler is feasible ?
Old 07-23-2002, 10:02 AM
slickboy
ECHC junkee

Go find a used intercooler. Check out junkyards for cars with factory turbos, you never know what you might find.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:03 AM
BonzoAPD

Save your money for when you get your new car. N sense putting money into a car that you are going to kill. Especially when the money you are putting into the car is going to kill it.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:36 AM
eclipse spanker

Im going to keep this car for long enough, that to me, it is worth putting the turbo in.......I'll have it for at least another 2 years, while I'm waiting for the new generation of imports to come out lol...........but anyway, thanks alot for the advice guys, I appreciate it. I think its worth finding an old intercooler from an A4 or a GST-T in the junkyard or something....I'll let you guys know how the project comes out !!!
Old 07-23-2002, 10:55 AM
BonzoAPD

Dude, I don't know if it will last 2 years at that high milage without an intercooler. Definetly try and find one. It will be worth the extra cash.

Let us know how this set-up turns out. Post some before and after pics.

Last edited by BonzoAPD; 07-23-2002 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbo without intercooler....YES ????