Notices

GS-R Engine Swap

Old 07-23-2002, 06:06 AM
alnen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS-R Engine Swap

I will probably be getting a 2nd Gen LS with about 150K on it, and I want to replace the engine with a GSR engine. How much would this cost? Would it be wiser if I just do a rebuild then turbo it? I really want a turbo, but I also want VTEC. I can't keep saving because I need the car now (or soon). Which option would you recommend?
Old 07-23-2002, 06:21 AM
StyleTEG
Make me an offer

Turbo

They will probably be about the same cost to buy and install

With the GSR engine you will be about half a second faster in the 1/4 mile

With a turbo you are going to be several seconds faster
Old 07-23-2002, 07:38 AM
alnen

ok thank you! What would you recommed that I do to prepare my engine and what kind of kit should I get?
Old 07-23-2002, 08:31 AM
StyleTEG
Make me an offer

Drag III or Revhard are popular choices

Since you are getting your engine rebuilt, I would spend the extra bucks to beef up the internals.
Old 07-23-2002, 08:57 AM
slickboy
ECHC junkee

g2's are more complicated to turbo than g3's are. Less room up there and not nearly as many kits available. You can always look into a custom setup to fit exactly what you want/need. Do your homework and talk to people who have done this before. t3/t4 hybrids are a good route to go. I would suggest towards getting a kit with a ball bearing turbo as opposed to a thrust bearing one. Do plenty of research. Find out everything you need before you buy anything. If you'd like to learn more about turbos and the other parts that will be involved with a turbo setup..check out this months issue of Super Street. They have a decent write-up on how they work and what different kits are available. Find a reputable shop to do your work for you...you may even find one that has turbo'd a g2..that would be ideal. Don't cheap out on anything because you'll regret it down the road. TUNING is the key!! Definatley look into forged rods and pistons to strengthen your bottom end..maybe even re-sleeving depending on how much you plan on boosting.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:40 AM
white lightnin

Boost the LS. With the GSR you will still be slow. Kinda wish i had built and boosted my old LS had 110k miles and a failing clutch. Oh well, bygones.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:29 AM
alnen

I have a few options here:

A) I try to bone rides from friends for 8 months until I have the money for a 3rd gen GSR.

B) I buy a POS now to hold me over, having to pay gas and insurance adding to the time it takes for a GSR.

C) I use all of my money and buy a G2 LS with about 150K on it and do one or more of the following:
1. Beef up low end during rebuild and then turbo it.
2. Swap out engine for a newer GSR engine and turbo it later.
3. Makes $5K then sell this car for $2K after I add 15K to it.

I currently have about $2500, and it will take 8 months if I save every penny I make to buy a G3 GSR. I'm working on fidning a new job with more pay/hours, so the 8 months could be decreased to about 5-6. I REALLY want a GSR, but I also REALLY want a car that runs. If I save for the GSR I feel like I will have a decent platform to build up on, but if I buy an older car (2nd gen LS) I feel like all of my money is going to waste because the car will eventually breakdown. What do you guys think I should do?
Old 07-24-2002, 09:51 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Alnen...I remember you talking about this before HAN went down. What about getting a loan? That way you can get the GSR and use soem of the money saved to bod it. Just a thought.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:24 AM
BonzoAPD

Yeah a loan sounds like a good idea. If not, won't you need a car to get to your job anyway? If so then get an inexpensive G2. Don't mod it. Just use it to get you to your goal of a GSR.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:07 PM
juiceweazel
Mobfather of all

yeah, but as soon as he buys the G2 then he'll mod it, everybody does.

Quick Reply: GS-R Engine Swap