Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Crank pulley bolt: reverse thread?

Old 11-26-2003, 07:25 AM
lingerbw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say that in the Helm manual, it states specifically NOT to use an impact wrench when replacing the crank bolt.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:23 AM
Import-Tooner
skoooooie!

Originally posted by XSrcing
i use an ingersoll rand 3/4" impact. takes 2 seconds.
As did I. Impact guns are

SKOOIE!!!
Old 10-26-2004, 12:22 AM
mondial

Hi guys. I know this thread is old but just in case. I have a Accord 2.0iS (UK) sounds similar to the 2.0.EX USA. I tried in vain this weekend to remove the pulley bolt. I was going to buy the pulley attachment tool to hold the crank solid. Costs about £62 $85 us dollars. Reckon the extensions and a length og pipe in my raker bar should do it. Any comments
Old 10-26-2004, 02:47 AM
lingerbw

Originally Posted by mondial
Hi guys. I know this thread is old but just in case. I have a Accord 2.0iS (UK) sounds similar to the 2.0.EX USA. I tried in vain this weekend to remove the pulley bolt. I was going to buy the pulley attachment tool to hold the crank solid. Costs about £62 $85 us dollars. Reckon the extensions and a length og pipe in my raker bar should do it. Any comments
5ft length of pipe over the end of my breaker bar did the trick for me. Some guys say leave the car in 5th gear and put it on the ground and you don't need the pulley tool. I used the tool, though.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:56 AM
mondial

Originally Posted by lingerbw
5ft length of pipe over the end of my breaker bar did the trick for me. Some guys say leave the car in 5th gear and put it on the ground and you don't need the pulley tool. I used the tool, though.
I tried it in 5th gear but the breaker bar did not have much movement even though I had the car on ramps. The idea of extending out beyond the car body sounds like a good idea.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:02 AM
lingerbw

Originally Posted by mondial
I tried it in 5th gear but the breaker bar did not have much movement even though I had the car on ramps. The idea of extending out beyond the car body sounds like a good idea.
I don't see any other way to get the clearance you need for the long pipe, unless you're on a lift. But, yeah, I extended everything out, then stacked up some lumber where the 90 degree turn was (for support) and then pulled.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:39 AM
H0ndaJunkie

Hmmmm.....Didn't work for me. I tried my Aircat Impact wrench with 1000FT LBs in reverse, and the crank pulley holder tool.....no luck. Then I saturated it with PB blaster, several times over and gave it an hour to work.....no luck. Then I got a couple of 10" 1/2"dr extensions, an 18" craftsman breaker bar, and a 6 foot piece of steel pipe and snapped the breaker bar. No luck.

I just bought a Propane torch today, so this weekend I'm going to make that sucker glow, and see if I can twist it off then!
Old 07-01-2005, 10:43 AM
lingerbw

Originally Posted by H0ndaJunkie
Hmmmm.....Didn't work for me. I tried my Aircat Impact wrench with 1000FT LBs in reverse, and the crank pulley holder tool.....no luck. Then I saturated it with PB blaster, several times over and gave it an hour to work.....no luck. Then I got a couple of 10" 1/2"dr extensions, an 18" craftsman breaker bar, and a 6 foot piece of steel pipe and snapped the breaker bar. No luck.

I just bought a Propane torch today, so this weekend I'm going to make that sucker glow, and see if I can twist it off then!
Uh-oh. It's a normal thread bolt. You should be attempting to crank it counter-clockwise. I'd give the impact another shot if I were you. Good luck.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:30 PM
xpman

Second vote for the impact. I made a tool at work to stop the pulley from spinning so I could get the bolt loose. I grabbed some extensions and a cheater bar and tried to break it loose. I pried so hard that the leverage I was using lifted the front end of the car off the ground!

I don't have the luxury of an air compressor and impact so I made a trip to a local garage to have them bust it loose. $10 and a two second blast with an impact had it off in a jiffy. I just had them tighten it up good enough to get back to my house.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:00 PM
foot

I suggest using a torque wrench to put the bolt back on. Sure, you can probably get away with giving the bolt a couple of baps with the impact gun but don't risk breaking the bolt or the end of the crankshaft. Using a torque wrench is simple even if you're a flatrate mechanic.

Quick Reply: Crank pulley bolt: reverse thread?