Notices

Turbo..

Old 07-21-2002, 07:55 PM
Chrgsr96
~~~~~~~~~

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo..

ok well the other day my friend got into a car accident in his Eclipse GSX (((i think it is a 91 but not sure,its the oldest body style though i know that))) by slamming into a tree resulting in his car being totaled. Well the thing is is that his engine was not screwwed up all that bad. Its pretty much all body damage. Well anyways i was talking with him and i asked him if i could have the turbo out of it. And he said yea as long as i can get it out. The only problems are that his engine had about 120,000 miles on it and the engine was not in very good shape at all. My questions are is it possible for me to get just the turbo out of his engine and i'm sure i'd have to rebuild it and is it possible to get it into my 96 integra gsr.? How much would it cost to rebuild it and what all would have to be done to rebuild it? My other problem is how much time would it take me to get the turbo out and would it be that difficult. because the only reason i'm able to get to the car is because the owner of the junk yard is letting my friend come in and get his speakers and subs and tv out. So i would only have a certain amount of time to get the turbo out. I also know that i would still have to buy a new header to fit to my car and an intercooler but thats if this all even works out. I know all of that probably sounded really confusing so i'll just sum up here what my questions were.......Is it possible for me to get this turbo out of his car in a certain amount of time? Would i need to rebuild it and if so what all would i need to do and how much would it cost as to compared with getting a new turbo? So please any help, advice or anything would be helpfull..... Oh and i do have someone that could install everything in my car because he's a genius with honda cars and would probably do it for me. He put an Eclipse GST turbo on a go-kart.
Old 07-21-2002, 08:35 PM
Chrgsr96
~~~~~~~~~

Anybody got any help for me?
Old 07-21-2002, 09:50 PM
More&Faster

well if your friend is so smart then tell him to go and get the turbo out . seriously though, you could definitely use that thing. if i were you and i were on a tight budget, which i assume you are, then i would get that turbo out, and put it on your car with the cheapest turbo manifold you can find and do whatever you can for the piping, but skip the intercooler. its just not necessary. just run like 5 psi, and hell, you got one cheap turbo. just my 2 cents.:thumbup:
Old 07-21-2002, 11:03 PM
evo119
GO GIANTS!

yeah, i would definately try to get the turbo. depending how much room you have to get the sucka out. You don't have to be pretty so it's all good. Just unbolt it from the manifold and the piping and you should be fine.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:31 AM
newgsrdriver

That "kit" would be a pain in the as to fabricate or find, IMO.

I say take the turbo out and sell it, and put the money towards a complete kit
Old 07-22-2002, 05:43 AM
Stealth 95 GS-R
TROGDOR the BURNiNATOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say keep it. Also, you might be able to fabricate a cheap intercooler from a factory turbo car. Someone on H-T just posted about using an intercooler from a Saab or Volvo on his car. He took it to the shop and they welded on bigger end tanks, and he put it on his Audi, and he was golden. Just wanted to add...

-Andrew
Old 07-22-2002, 06:46 AM
smithg001

why don't you just grab his side mount intercooler also.... then all is left is a manual boost controller, piping, and a manifold... prety cheap kit I would think.
Old 07-22-2002, 07:39 AM
Chrgsr96
~~~~~~~~~

Ok yea i definetly plan on getting this thing out, my only problem is i'm kinda on a time schedule because the man that owns the junk yard where the car is at is only coming to open the place up so my friend can get his speakers and stuff out. Do you guys think i'll be able to do it relatively quick? Isn't it just unscrewing bolts basically, nothing that is too complex? I'm planning on just bringing my basic tool set. And i would like to rebuild the turbo because like i said his engine was not in very good shape at all it burned quite a bit of oil, which i'm not sure if that really had any affect on the turbo but i don't want my engine blowing in the future because of this. Because yes i am on a tight budget so i would probably only run the stock boost that it runs which i thougth was like 14 psi??is that correct??? How much would it cost me to rebuild the turbo and what all would i need to do??

Oh and the stock intercooler was smashed. Theres definetly no use in it. So i think if i can get the turbo on my car i'll prolly be riding with out an intercooler for a lil while, would i be ok doing that??As long as no boost is added over the stock amount???

So besides the turbo all i would need is the piping to hook up the turbo and a new header or manifold??

Thanx to everyone that is helping me out here i plan on leaving in about 3 hours to go get the thing so i'll be back to check to see if anyone has responded before i go.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:33 AM
AP2
Moderator Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it's not as easy as it looks fabricating a kit together. Especially since it's a Mitsubishi 14b turbo, where you'll have to look pretty darn hard to find a flange for the custom manifold you'll also have to find/fabricate. If you insist on taking this turbo out, I'd suggest you could sell it, but don't expect to get more than $200 out of it. It's more than 10 years old and alot of Eclipse/Talon guys are able to get brand new upgraded 16g turbos for around $600. It's up to you, but personally I wouldn't deal with the hassle.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:19 AM
Etylorcen
Turbo Mafia Soldier

Remember, that turbo is tiny. Abou the size of your fist. Honda motors, especially honda vtec motors, flow a lot differently than dsm's. It will spool fast but in the mid and upper range you'll have that turbo spinning so fast it'll just turn into a giant heat source, making it VERY inefficient. I say get it and sell it.

Quick Reply: Turbo..