Notices

ABS light on?

Old 07-21-2002, 06:13 PM
frankenstienvt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS light on?

I drive an 95 teg.Yesterday morning I start my car and the sound that the abs module makes lasted a long time . Ever since that the abs light comes on every so often. I thought it might have been because of heavy dew and componets might been wet. Not the case so if anyone has had similar problem drop me a reply.

thanks
Old 07-21-2002, 06:19 PM
AP2
Moderator Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You check your fluid level?
Old 07-21-2002, 06:23 PM
frankenstienvt

Yup... Its full the first thing I checked!!!!!! But I notice A little
plug at the abs **** near the air inlet.. Do you have to fill it there?
Or does it fill the entire system by the power booster fill ?
Old 07-21-2002, 07:51 PM
migs

The mystery still remains....

I and a few other 94-97 owners have notorious issues with the ABS light coming on. Along side that, the modulator keeps on making buzzing sounds time to time. Some cases I would get 2 buzz cycles in a matter of 10 minutes.

I dont know what it is that causes it but Ive chose to convert my car to non-ABS. I am in the process of removing the GSR modulator, brake lines, BB, MC and prop valve with ones that are equipped on an RS.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:46 PM
thx247

the abs light isnt on because the parking brake is not fully disengaged is it? (lol yeh i know but stranger things have happened)
Old 07-21-2002, 11:05 PM
evo119
GO GIANTS!

this happened to me before as well. I had it checked and I guess the system wasn't grounded, which resulted in the ABS light. Next time you go in for a minor or anykind of service, tell them jus to check the grounds for the ABS light.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:42 AM
BSQ

The "buzzing" sound you hear when you first start your car is the ABS system pressurizing. This only pertains to '94-'97 Integras, because they have a different ABS system from the '98-'01 Integras and '97 Type-Rs. The '94-'97 Integra's ABS system has a seperate brake fluid reservior (#3 in diagram). The ABS brake fluid should be bleed and flushed periodically to remove air from the system. If you hear the buzzing for more than a couple of seconds (~2-5 sec.), this is a good indication that the ABS system needs to be bleed. Now if you hear the buzzing for ~60 seconds and then it shuts off and the ABS light comes on, it means that the ABS system could not be pressurized and the ABS has been disabled. The main cause is a small rubber O-ring (#23) which seals the brake fluid ACCUMULATOR (#2) which is under extremely high pressure. If this O-ring fails brake fluid will leak out and you will see it under the ABS module.

Here is a diagram of the '94-'97 Integra ABS module:

==============================================

Here is the procedure for ABS brake fluid replacement (from the Helms manual):

1.) Remove the bleeder cap from the maintenance bleeder on the modulator unit.

2.) Attach the wrench to the maintenance bleeder.

3.) Connect a rubber tube of the appropriate diameter to the maintenance bleeder, and set the other end of the rubber tube in a suitable container.

4.) While holding the rubber tube with your hand, slowly loosen the maintenance bleeder 1/8 to 1/4 to collect the brake fluid in the container.

CAUTION: Do not loosen the maintenance bleeder too much. The high-pressure brake fluid can burst out.

5.) Tighten the maintenance bleeder.

6.) Start the engine and let it idle for a minute. Stop the engine.

7.) Check the brake fluid level in the reservoir. It should be below the MAX (upper) level line.

8.) Repeat the steps 4 through 7 to drain the rest of the brake fluid from the modulator unit.

9.) Remove the cap, and refill the reservoir to the MAX (upper) level with fresh brake fluid.

10.) Repeat steps 4 through 8 twice, and refill the reservoir to the MAX (upper) level with fresh brake fluid.

11.) Tighten the maintenance bleeder to the specified torque (8 lbf-ft).

12.) After replacement, start the engine and make sure that the ABS indicator light goes off.
_______
Old 07-22-2002, 09:09 AM
white lightnin

I had this problem back in the day. Took out the warning light cause it wouldnt go away. Put in back in when I sold the car. Eventually after resetting the ecu a bunch of times it went away.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:27 AM
frankenstienvt

The only thing is that it does this only in the morning? I go to work the car sets all day then when I leave work it doesnt come on. Seeing how I work at a Acura dealership I will have a tech cherck it out.. The only thing is now every car gets run through the shop because the tec work making more $$ on the side then the boss man wanted them to make. they were putting turbos after work and ****... I laugh though because where I work there is a string of people stealing rsx wheel 3 sets in a month thats funny.. You should have been there when we had integras . Kids driving around a street racing events late at night rolling on brand new integra wheels and tires .. Gee wasnt hard to figure where they got those wheels
Old 01-28-2005, 04:55 PM
druid628
Druid

Originally Posted by BSQ
The "buzzing" sound you hear when you first start your car is the ABS system pressurizing. This only pertains to '94-'97 Integras .... Now if you hear the buzzing for ~60 seconds and then it shuts off and the ABS light comes on, it means that the ABS system could not be pressurized and the ABS has been disabled. The main cause is a small rubber O-ring (#23) which seals the brake fluid ACCUMULATOR (#2) which is under extremely high pressure. If this O-ring fails brake fluid will leak out and you will see it under the ABS module.
I have a '95 Integra (actually it's my wifes) Ours buzzes for about 60 seconds...
So if it is the O-Ring and ACCUMULATOR and the ABS is disabled, what should be done beside taking it to the shop or would that be the best advice?
Thanks,
-mb

Quick Reply: ABS light on?