Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Flat spotting

Old 11-02-2003, 05:19 PM
LX4CYL
Cone Basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat spotting

lol, today at the auto-x, I messed up at a slalom, hit the brakes too hard, locked the wheels, and caused the car to spin around 180 degrees! Me and my friend where laughing our asses off for the rest of the course because I made my FWD car spin.

However, when I got on the highway to go get something to eat, I could feel/hear a very light and rapid dut-dut-dut-dut-dut coming from the front tires. I immediately knew that I flat spotted my 225/40-18 Yoko AVS ES100s. It turned out that when I spun out, the weight transfer caused the front wheels to grip, and the rear wheels to break loose (I had more air pressure in the rear tires). Some of the corner workers saw blue smoke come from the front tires.

My tires have a treadwear rating of 280, and I go to autocrosses once a month. How long do you think it will take to get "wear off" of the flatspots? I'm not too worried about this, because at 40-50 mph with normal tire pressure, I can't even notice it...
Old 11-02-2003, 08:19 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

You'd be better off buying new tires. I flat spotted my tires in the summer of 2001. Drove it at 15-20 more events and 15,000 miles and it still thumped.

You could find a tire shaving shop that could shave it off for your, but most places will not touch a tire once it touches the ground since pebbles and rocks will dull their blade.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:47 AM
LX4CYL
Cone Basher

Originally posted by CivicSiRacer
You'd be better off buying new tires. I flat spotted my tires in the summer of 2001. Drove it at 15-20 more events and 15,000 miles and it still thumped.

You could find a tire shaving shop that could shave it off for your, but most places will not touch a tire once it touches the ground since pebbles and rocks will dull their blade.
what tires did you have and how bad was the noise? I can barely notice it now that I have regualr air pressure. Plus they are already on their way out because I'm going to more Autocrosses. My original plan was to use these once, and start using a different set of tires on cheaper, smaller wheels, but these were thouroughly abused during the Offensive Driving 101 event, and I had to get a plug+patch repair on one of them due to a flat I picked up on the road. These tires are already ****ed, so I was just wondering if the flatspotting will disappear before I cord the tires
Old 11-03-2003, 02:06 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Originally posted by LX4CYL
what tires did you have and how bad was the noise? I can barely notice it now that I have regualr air pressure. Plus they are already on their way out because I'm going to more Autocrosses. My original plan was to use these once, and start using a different set of tires on cheaper, smaller wheels, but these were thouroughly abused during the Offensive Driving 101 event, and I had to get a plug+patch repair on one of them due to a flat I picked up on the road. These tires are already ****ed, so I was just wondering if the flatspotting will disappear before I cord the tires
I had Kumho 712s and I recently had someone flat spot my Azenis too.