Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Ball Joint Problem or Steering Rack????? Wobble & Noise???

Old 11-21-2003, 04:09 AM
h22avid
Sleeper...Creeper...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ToFu
sounds like the CV joint and axles worn. Had the same problem on my 4th gen accord and had those replaced and bam, sound and wobble problem gone
So your axles made a clunking sound? I've heard of axles making a clicking sound but not a clunking sound. Just curious, I've never actually had a bad axle so I'll have to take your word on that.

Thanks
Old 11-21-2003, 06:34 AM
ToFu
old SkooL

the CV joint if it goes bad, ruins the axle side its on so basically, if they replace the CV joint, they have to replace the axle on that side ^_^
Old 11-21-2003, 08:27 PM
bensk8erm30

i had the same problem
it was my control arms and one of them was loose. 260 bucks...

can you feel vibrations on the floor when it happens?
Old 11-22-2003, 06:11 AM
h22avid
Sleeper...Creeper...

Originally posted by bensk8erm30
i had the same problem
it was my control arms and one of them was loose. 260 bucks...

can you feel vibrations on the floor when it happens?
Upper or Lower Control Arm? I was thinking about getting the skunk2 Camber kit which is an adjustable upper control arm... maybe that will fix the problem. :dunno:

I can't recall if there is a vibration in the floor because the vibration I feel is pretty wicked.. the whole front end just kind a shimmys and wobbles at high speeds and I feel it in the steering mainly besides the whole front end thing.

I'm gonna have my buddy at the honda shop take a look at it today to see if he can tell what it is... if he can't I know somebody there in the shop can so hopefully I'll have an answer before the days out.
Old 11-22-2003, 03:55 PM
bensk8erm30

good luck!
Old 11-22-2003, 06:46 PM
h22avid
Sleeper...Creeper...

Alright, I had a couple guys at the dealership looking it over and it's definitely the tie rods that come out of the steering rack... could possibly be a bad steering rack too but the tie rods are definitely shot.

My buddy can get both left and right tie rods at cost for $80 so I'm hoping to get them and put them in this week some time... I'll keep everyone posted how it rides after I put the tie rods in... thanks everybody for trying to help:thumbup:
Old 12-02-2003, 11:10 AM
h22avid
Sleeper...Creeper...

I replaced both tie rod ends and rebooted the rack because both boots were torn... the wobble is almost completely gone.

I still have a slight wobble feel and some noise which I'm now convinced is coming from my upper control arms... I plan to get the skunk2 camber kit that comes with the control arms so hoefully that will fully rectify my noise problem... if not when I replace all the suspension bushings that should do it.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:34 PM
YeaItsAFourDoor
..::-Free your mind-::..

Do what you gotta do.