Notices

How much hp will I get from a header?

Old 10-15-2003, 02:06 PM
niko
Im driving a f_cking egg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much hp will I get from a header?

This has been covered 1,000,000 times, but I was wondering because I already have some aftermarke parts- meaning I think my stock exhaust mani is holding me back.

I have a B18c1 with a new fuel pump (walbro 190 lph) and rewired it straight to the battery with 10 aug wire (more lph), I have a catback 2.25 exhaust, and an open Blitz filter.

My question is how much hp gains will I get and which header is the best? I'm thinking some kind of 4-1 like that jdm dc or something. Please tell me what you think I should get.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:34 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

realistically, maybe 2-5 whp from the majority of mass produced headers on the market. with the bigger headers with 2.5 in collectors and stepped primaries and sequientially paired primaries and things like that, i've seen dyno charts of anywhere from 10-20 whp increases.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:17 PM
niko
Im driving a f_cking egg

Damn thats it? I'm trying to decide what I should do to get my car in the 13s. I guess a header doesn't seam worth it. Maybe I'll look into CTR cams or something. I'm trying to figure out best bang for the buck for NA. What do you suggest, Snoop?
Old 10-16-2003, 07:54 AM
revhappy420

seriously, a good header IS worth it! look more into header-tech headers for 700.00 or SMSP for 1000 bucks plus but these headers will definitely make a difference. do more research on those two, many people are satisfied with those two.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:02 AM
96GreenCivic

Boost baby!
I understand the N/A route, but I was going the header route too, but I figured I wanted to go boost instead.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:29 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally posted by niko
Damn thats it? I'm trying to decide what I should do to get my car in the 13s. I guess a header doesn't seam worth it. Maybe I'll look into CTR cams or something. I'm trying to figure out best bang for the buck for NA. What do you suggest, Snoop?
a good header is really worth it. if you want to make power i'd suggest you look into a header like a dtr, hytech, or smsp. but these headers range from $1000-$1500 and the waiting period could be months. even the jdm itr and dc jdm 4-1 are good alternatives. none of these headers are going to be a complete bolt on.

here's a good article
Old 10-16-2003, 11:31 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Honestly I wouldn't be able to justify spending 700 bones or more on a header unless it was being put on a motor that would be able to take advantage of it. A stock internals B18C1 is not such a motor.

For now a DC JDM 4-1 would be a pretty good idea. Just remember that you get no benefit from the 2.5" collector unless you redo the whole exhaust system to 2.5". That means replacing the cat with a 2.5" high flow one, and having custom 2.5" exhaust pipes bent back to a muffler (preferably with a 2.5" inlet).

I would rather spend the coin on a complete 2.5" system than the super-spiffy headers out there like Hytech, etc.
Old 10-17-2003, 02:08 PM
pythonscott
Nurburgring junkie

Originally posted by MrFatbooty
Just remember that you get no benefit from the 2.5" collector unless you redo the whole exhaust system to 2.5". That means replacing the cat with a 2.5" high flow one, and having custom 2.5" exhaust pipes bent back to a muffler (preferably with a 2.5" inlet).
I agree with replacing the cat to a high flow, but I disagree that a 2.5 catback exhaust needs to be used (though it wouldn't be a bad idea) and here's why: the exit on the JDM collector isn't really 2.5... it's more like 2.25 and the A-spec header exit is around 1.75. So using a 2.25" cat back really doesn't create a bottle neck like you'd think it might.

I highly recommend going with a J-spec header. It will give you a signifigant power increase, while like snoopy said in his first post, an A-spec header wil only net 2-5 hp.

To answer your question of which header is best, HyTech and SMSP are. And yes, they are worth the wait and money.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:50 PM
niko
Im driving a f_cking egg

Originally posted by pythonscott
I agree with replacing the cat to a high flow, but I disagree that a 2.5 catback exhaust needs to be used (though it wouldn't be a bad idea) and here's why: the exit on the JDM collector isn't really 2.5... it's more like 2.25 and the A-spec header exit is around 1.75. So using a 2.25" cat back really doesn't create a bottle neck like you'd think it might.

I highly recommend going with a J-spec header. It will give you a signifigant power increase, while like snoopy said in his first post, an A-spec header wil only net 2-5 hp.

To answer your question of which header is best, HyTech and SMSP are. And yes, they are worth the wait and money.
Thanks dude, and to eveyone elses advice. So I guess I'll keep my 2.25" piping -thats good news. I want to beable to switch to my stock exhaust mani when I get it smogged in 2 years. F_cken California!
Do you guys know if most of these 4-1 headers are easy bolt-ons to gsrs? Because like I said, I need to beable to remove it easily for smog.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:16 PM
XSrcing

42 million.....

mW that is.