Notices

might buy '94 LS; ABS and paint Q's

Old 10-15-2003, 01:49 PM
Jason C SBB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default might buy '94 LS; ABS and paint Q's

I'm considering buying a '94 4-dr LS sold by a colleague for cheap. It's in good shape other than the paint and the ABS. It drives well.

The paint is badly oxidized and has large swaths of whitish areas on the trunk and roof.

I attacked a spot on the corner of the trunk with some cleaner/wax and a cotton towel and rubbed hard. Nothing much happened so I switched to rubbing compound. I rubbed and rubbed, and the rough white flakey stuff started coming off. I rubbed and rubbed some more, and it became smooth and started to shine. But then there was a different sort of whitish area showing. So I rubbed and
rubbed yet some more, and the whitish area started growing! It was the primer coming through!

Paint questions: Do '94 Tegs have very thin paint and no clearcoat? Do they have a problem with their paint?

If I want it to look decent, the trunk and roof, and the top halfs of the rear pillars may need to be repainted.

Whenever the engine is started, the ABS unit in the engine bay buzzes for several seconds. Then it stops, and the ABS light comes on. He said it started doing that a few months ago when his dad's friend changed out the brake pads.

ABS question: Anyone know what this loud buzzing is? What would fix it?

TIA
Old 10-15-2003, 07:25 PM
axhammer
Canadian Icelander

I had a freind with the same ABS problem. When u change brake pads on a ABS braking system, you must be carfull not the damage the abs sensor. It has a bunch of magnets and if u hit one of these then the sensor is useless. In addition, if the brake fluid is changed on a ABS system, it must be flushed following the method writen in a repair manual for your make.

For your paint, try mother clay bar. The integra has a really nice paint and clearcoat but often bird $hit and gas will discolor the paint.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:28 PM
Sleeper98GSR
LS stylee y0h

Yeah, the Milano Red/ Thuinder Grey colors tend to oxidize/peel. Also, Milano cars have no clear, so that makes it a bish to maintain. However, if it's TG, keep it that color...rare color my man.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:48 PM
97teg

My sis' 94 forest green 4 door has had to have 3 different parts painted at different times the top front by the a pillars, trunk and bumper i think . The body shop wasn't sure if they were gonna be able to match the rest of the paint exactly cause it was a little faded from the origonal but now it looks good. I think it may be a common problem but im not sure.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:45 PM
HYBRID

is the car thunder gray?
Old 10-17-2003, 12:29 AM
Jason C SBB

Thanks for the replies. It's Dark Green.

What do you think would be a good price?

135k miles. Engine is torquey and very responsive. Assume a good compression and leakdown test (I can borrow the car to test). Regular oil and tranny oil changes. Timing belt and clutch changed at 90k. Needs new tires and wheels (steelies now). Interior worn. Shocks not too bad. Shifts smoothly, but 1-2 synchronizer may be showing slight wear, it crunched two times when shifting quickly 1-2 during a 20 minute drive. I would replace the windshield. Steering OK. a/c cold. Car is relatively quiet. Never been hit, other than bumper vs. garage door incident 2 years ago.

Only the paint is really bad, but no rust (CA car), the ABS thing, and the somewhat worn interior. Runs great, looks bad.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:36 AM
Jason C SBB

Default ABS problem

Originally posted by axhammer
I had a freind with the same ABS problem.
The buzzing or the warning light?